VisionBot SMT Pick and Place Machine for PCBA

Post your build logs here

VisionBot SMT Pick and Place Machine for PCBA

Postby alexandru » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:32 pm

Hey guys, I want to share with you VisionBot SMT Pick and Place machine - a project of mine which I started almost one year ago. So, Right now I am trying to build VisionBot which is a Surface Mount Technology assembly shooterthat can be used to place SMD chips onto Printed Circuit Boards for PCBA. Practically the Vision Bot machine will enable electrical engineers, hackers and makers just like me to manufacture electronic devices in their own garage. VisionBot is still in the beta testing and in a few months it will be available to the makers through a crowd-funding platform. Using advanced Computer Vision VisionBot is avoiding electronical waste and is professionally assembling Printed Circuit Boards. VisionBot places about 2,5000 components per hour and it is estimated that VisionBot will be able to assembly about 75,000 electronic boards per year.

VisionBot is also compatibile with standardized files like RS-274X Gerber files but works also with the classical CSV files. VisionBot will enable the dream of many makers who want to turn their homemade prototypes into industrial products. For more details access our website

VisionBot Gerber Importer

In order to view all of the steps I had done in the past to build VisionBot, you can access our hackaday.io project profile
alexandru

Re: VisionBot SMT Pick and Place Machine for PCBA

Postby alexandru » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:59 am

As I stated in the first post, in the last week I had been working to include Python Scripting mode into the VisionBot Pick and Place machine. Until now we included interfaces for Python to work with the Machine System, Centroids list, Parts List, Feeders List and the Computer Vision Algorithms. In the following days we will also include more options to enable our users to work directly with the VisionBot Gerber editor and to give you more flexibility. I think, now VisionBot is the only P&P machine that allows Python scripting . I also implemented Intellisense(auto-complete) and very soon Python elementary debugging.

VisionBot-python-script.png
Python Scripting

Now, we are developing the software and hardware for SMT Tray by allowing VisionBot to pick SMD components from Tray. Today, I took a picture in the VisionBot garage :)

VisionBot-BIT-TECHNOLOGIES-Ionut-Budisteanu.jpg
VisionBot - BIT TECHNOLOGIES garage
alexandru

Postby alexandru » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi guys,

We implemented the Auto-Fiducials align Software.

We did a full Youtube video review of the software https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=332&v=zPiAdxN6PNw and how the VisionBot works with complete Compute Vision

alexandru

Postby alexandru » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:03 am

Hey everybody,

We released a new major update to the software. I successfully implemented the PCB panelization option.

A screenshot of the VisionBot PCB Panelization Software

Using our PCB Panelization Option, we have created the electronics of VisionBot P&P Machines.

alexandru

Postby alexandru » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Today, we released a new Youtube Video showing VisionBot On Fly Computer Vision PCBA Test of multiple 0603 Resistors. I hope you enjoy the video!

alexandru

Postby LevAn » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:02 am

Thanks for sharing this at here. It is looking a cool and nice device.
It will be helpful in many applications in many fields.
I want to know about its detailed specifications. I want to know DOF and the torque.
Also what kind of the electric and electronics component you used in it?
LevAn

Postby alexandru » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:37 am

Thank you LevAn.

Guys, we had done a huge progress so far. I changed pictures from the 1st post because the pictures were very outdated and that machine, our first prototype now it is obsolete. I attach you some new pictures.

@LevAn here is our Technical data

Precision for X Axis - 25 µm, Precision for Y Axis 12,5 µm
Working Area: 200 x 250 mm
Automated feeders 24 - 16x8mm, 4x12mm, 4x16mm

Tray Component - more than 50-80 components from SOIC8 to TQFP128
3 Nozzles - 0.30mm, 1mm, 2,5 mm with - Run Time/Automatic Nozzle Changer
Vacuum control based on Microcontroller and the desktop software controls the vacuum.
Vacuum Pump 220V - VH115N - 1/5 HP life time 10.000 hour
For: Europe FREE Vacuum tank 20 litters inox - limited numbers
Motors X,Y,Z 1.8 degree/Step: NEMA17 for R Axis NEMA8
for feeders NEMA11 0.8A - 24PCS
X, Y, Z mgn12 liniar rails low-cost from CHINA

2X Advanced Computer Vision (Top with Digital Microscope, and Bottom with HD Camera that includes zoom and auto-focus),

Auto self test, On Fly Computer Vision for Top Digital Microscopes, Python Scripting, Power Self-Test
X,Y,Z Standard drivers for CNC machines 1/16 - TOSHIBA TB6560
For 24X automated Feeders - 24x Standard drivers for 3D printers DRV8825
The electronics from the machine is complete optical separated.
2x18v/5A POWER SOURCE
2x DC-DC converter with Voltmeter
Clippard Vacuum Valve
USB hub
Full schematic - MORE 50 LED FOR EASY SERVICE
Full step algorithm for setting
It can be upgraded manually with another identitical feeder system - extra.

Probably in one month we will ship to our first customers. The first the VisionBot 24x, 48x, 96x machines will be shipped national and then international.
alexandru

Return to Build Logs