Wildman's 2.x Build

Post your build logs here

Wildman's 2.x Build

Postby dwilding » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:27 am

Hi All,

As many before, I've caught the bug to build your own laser, and Bart's design is by far the best out there.
Thanks to him for all the time devoted to this project to allow others to learn and dream.

My plans are to go with the 2.x design with an adjustable z-stage.

So far I've received the following:
Extruded Aluminum from Misumi
Belts from Econobelt
Bearings from VXB
DIY optical path from Lightobject
40W laser from Lightobject (It arrived perfectly packed, and no breaks, but beware of its length (see below))
40W laser psu from Lightobject
24V electronics psu from Lightobject
24V water pump from Lightobject
Radiator and 12V fan from Lightobject
100mA digital meter from lightobject (will also get the analog version from Bart to compare the two)

And the rest I plan on getting from Bart through his kits:
Hardware Kit
Plastics Kit
Skins Kit
Electronic Kit
Linear Bearing Kit
Mechtronics kit (minus the bearings and belts pre-purchased)
Acrylic Window
Z Axis Upgrade Kit
Air Assist Nozzle
Laser Interface PCB + Drivers
Interface Panel
Analog Current Meter
and Mach 3 since this is my first project into a CNC hobby (besides school)

The beginning of the build:
DSCN0934.JPG
Extruded Aluminum Parts

Staging Table:
DSCN0935.JPG
Power Supplys, Optical Path, Bearings, Belts, etc.

I hit my first roadblock when I noticed the 40W laser I ordered from lightobject was 1000mm in length, which happens to be the full length of Bart's design. At first I thought it was a mistake, and I possibly got a larger laser by accident, but it is 1000mm as stated on their website.

DSCN0936.JPG
Tube is longer the longest extrusion =/

My plans will be to extend the design by 300 mm on the right, but keeping the cutting area the same. This will allow the ability to install a higher powered laser (60W) in the future. I will use the extra room for the the tube in the upper half while possibly using a bottom to house a water cooling reservoir with a radiator + cooling fan to blow out the back / or right side. I will have to provide some sort of division to prevent any cases for water getting to the electronics.

So word of warning to those planning their laser designs to be careful of the tube length before ordering.

David
dwilding

Re: Wildman's 2.x Build

Postby bdring » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:32 am

my first roadblock when I noticed the 40W laser I ordered from lightobject was 1000mm in length

I started to add that warning to the Wiki under the buying tubes section and saw that there is already a note on that.

http://www.buildlog.net/wiki/doku.php?i ... aser_tubes
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Progress Report

Postby dwilding » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:18 am

Much progress has been made since the last post.

I'm another happy customer with the way Bart packages his kits. I had no issues with anything. Much thanks goes out for all the care involved with labeling and itemizing the kits! Most of my time has been reading the instructions, referencing the drawings for the right parts, and spending time finding misplaced allen wrenches :?

As stated in my previous post, I had to order another 30 mm extention for my frame to accomodate my larger laser tube and I've given myself enough room to eventually go up to 100W if I ever see the need.

Completed VRails:
completed_rails.jpg
Completed VRails

VRail Closeup:
rail closeup.jpg
VRail Closeup

Table Lift:
4-9D8531E4-1052724-800.jpg
Table Lift

More pictures to follow this post as I've been meaning to catch up.

Parts ordered / still need to order:
Assist Air Supply [Ordered]: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JPRNOU/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
EZ Chain Cable [Ordered]: CableOrganizer.com
http://search.cableorganizer.com/index.aspx?Ntt=IGU-080-16-12-PZ&N=1000031&Ntx=mode+matchpartial&si=0&Ntk=products x2
http://search.cableorganizer.com/index.aspx?Ntt=IGU-E08-16-038-0&N=1000031&Ntx=mode+matchpartial&si=0&Ntk=products x3
Protective Eyeware: http://www.kenteklaserstore.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=KWL-6001 x2 (have at least 2 to show off the laser)
Laser Interface PCB /w drivers
Skins
Window

Typical questions that I ran across while building the kit so far:
I might want to replace my v-rails with makerslide some day as I did have slight bowing in the vrails toward the end of my x-axis (left) that I didn't notice until after the glue had set. It is only the last 1" of travel but I notice it getting slightly harder to push. I wonder if it will be noticeable or if it will affect the cuts.

What is the best way to measure the belt torque? I don't currently have a tool to do that, is there a cheap one available that members have been buying or are they "tentioning to what feels best"?

Are there limit switches for both sides of the X-axis rail? I only saw pictured the left switch. What would stop the carrage from hitting the right gantry mount?
Are there limit switches for both sides of the Y-axis rail? I only saw pictured the front switch.
dwilding

Table Lift Pictures

Postby dwilding » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:29 am

Table Lift Closeup 1
4-A6B671AE-1119341-800.jpg
Table Lift Closeup 1

Table Lift Closeup 2
4-AD07C7B3-1079241-800.jpg
Table Lift Closeup 2

Table Lift Installed
4-F8EAFADA-1566334-800.jpg
Table Lift Installed

Table Lift Installed (picture of the pulley's)
IMAG0216.jpg
Table Lifts Installed (Picture of pulleys)

Table Surface (EggCrate, cut to fit, but do not have brackets yet, temporarly installed at an angle)
eggcrate table temporary.jpg
Table Surface
dwilding

More Pictures 2

Postby dwilding » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:40 am

Gantry Installed:
IMAG0220.jpg
Gantry Installed

Left Side:
4-5F317718-1259275-800.jpg
Left Side

Right Side:
IMAG0221.jpg
Right Side

Expanded Frame:
frame with extension.jpg
Expanded Frame
dwilding

Postby StigOE » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:01 am

You sure you don't need to extend the extrusions for the tube mounts too? As it looks on your picture, it looks like you will have no support for the aft part of the tube.

Stig
StigOE

Postby dwilding » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:07 am

Thanks Stig,

You are correct, I just ordered the cross members for above electronics and extension just to be sure.

I got my cable guide, and air pump and safety glasses, just need the electronics to start moving forward.
dwilding

Postby dwilding » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Its time for an update since I'm done with entertaining for Thanksgiving and can get back to my laser. I have all weekend to work on it and hope to get some progress.

Currently I'm troubleshooting why my motors don't move.

I've got everything hooked up with the laser interface PCB, Pololu drivers (/w heatsinks) in place running with Mach 3. When I make any changes to the ports and pin settings and the reset button needs to be pressed in Mach3, all axes lock and cannot be moved, but when I click the reset button, and try to jog the axes manually, nothing happens.

All wires going to the motors are at ~24 volts and only change (go low) when the config changes and the motors are locked. They do not change when I tried to jog any axis.

I've checked of the step / dir pins on the driver and I'm getting about .7 - .9 for the step (expected with some form of PWM), and either 0 or 4.8 volts for the direction pin while jogging an axes and measuring at the same time, so I believe my cable and polarity are correct coming from the computer.

I've checked continuty between the motor (black / green) and (red / blue) wires and all of them check out to verify that my lead extensions were done properly.

Any additional advice of things to check?
Attachments
Output_Signals.JPG
Output Signals
Input_Signals.JPG
Input Signals
Motor_Outputs.JPG
Motor Outputs
dwilding

Postby r691175002 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Have you checked continuity between the relevant pins on the parallel port and polulu drivers?
r691175002

Postby dwilding » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:22 pm

I figured it out!, it was the JP2 jumper which tells which voltage (low or high) is needed to enable the drivers. I had mine set to "D" and it needed to be set to "E" side for my pololu drivers so they were never enabling.

I now have all 3 axis moving with no issues.

Moving forward!
dwilding

Return to Build Logs