"Human powered" Copier Router

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

"Human powered" Copier Router

Postby stonycraft » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm thinking of building a "Human powered" Copier Router as opposed to a CNC Router for now. Can cut my teeth on things and also solve some routing I need to do (plus pantograph).
Has anyone any built such a Router for shape copying?. Would be great if it followed the same build principles as a CNC machine (X Y movement). Over time I would likely convert it to a CNC or use my learnings to improve on the basics before I add the step motors etc..
Thoughts?
stonycraft

Re: "Human powered" Copier Router

Postby JakeS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:12 pm

JakeS

Postby stonycraft » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi JakeS,
Not really but thank so much for taking time to reply; appreciated.
I think I am ok on knowing how to add the pantograph aspects. More interested in somehow building a human powered X Y Router where I am the 'Step Motors' as such.
stonycraft

Postby stonycraft » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Yes I have seen that one and the basic idea I have echoes similarlity. I do believe that the basic makerslide track type config could be used for this project as well as a cnc router...
stonycraft

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:08 pm

Would you please elaborate on the description of the machine you're looking for? It seems to me that a router with a straight bit with a bearing (such as this one, or maybe one with the bearing near the collet), and a couple of clamps to hold your stock and template together, would fit the description of a "human powered copier router".

If you're thinking of a pantograph-like machine, but relying on linear bearings to keep a rigid assembly of router and "feeler" parallel to one axis, MakerSlide and other linear bearing systems are useful only with a very large wheelbase, or with bearings very far apart. Otherwise, they'd rack when driven manually. This could be fixed with cable or belt and pulleys -- look up "drafting board" for an idea of how it used to be done, before they switched to a pantograph system (and then to CAD) -- but I have the feeling that it would not be easy to make it precise and sturdy enough.

Why wouldn't a CNC machine fit the bill? Mechanically, it may be easier to build than something that has to handle manual movement. Granted, there's the expense of the stepper motors and the electronics to drive them. It totally depends on your stance: if you're looking to get a job done (and it's a job that could conceivably be done with a Dremel and a very, very steady hand and lots of patience), a machine like the ShapeOko or eShapeOko is a proven concept, can be scaled to a reasonable size, and the extra expense of the motors and electronics is justified (and may even be offset by the simpler mechanics). If you're looking to build something for the sake of building something new, then by all means, experiment, play, improve, have fun!
cvoinescu

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Good quality drawer runners have also been used as linear bearings with some success. I have a pair of these, bought a few years ago, and used a lot (the nappies are in that drawer). They're still as good as the day I've bought them.
cvoinescu

Postby stonycraft » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 pm

I got an email from friend not long back singing the praises of that 3040 Chinese machine all over eBay.. Actually would like to push back with some negatives if possible please. Nice to buy stuff built in UK/Europe also..
stonycraft

Postby stonycraft » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Likely get a lot of drawer sliding if use as many nappies as we did :-)
stonycraft

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.