Will this X Y frame setup work?

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Re: Will this X Y frame setup work?

Postby Chankster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:25 pm

"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Postby neorazz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:59 am

i hope this helps

gantry.jpg

here's a rough measurement of the 400mm x 600mm

highest area clearance 3.5 " 89mm
A 31.25 794mm
B 19.25 489mm
C 30.75 781mm
D 29.25 743mm
E 17 432mm
F25.75 654mm

there aren't any mounting holes a system would have to be drilled and tapped to mount the gantry to the frame
neorazz

Postby wmgeorge » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Yes It does, thank you. I am really thinking of just emailing LO and getting the official measurements of this one and the better grade 400x600 X-Y frame. The higher priced one looks nicer and more complete but not sure its worth the extra money.
By having the X-Y frame NOT part of the main structural frame would seem to make it (X-Y) less prone to mis-alignment and binding if the unit was moved or not on a 100% level surface. I would then just build the main enclosure around the purchased X-Y.
Retired guy, Central Iowa US. Master Electrician Hobby Machine and Metal Fab Shop.
wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:39 pm

Well I got my X-Y Lite frame 400 x 600 frame today and got it put together. Minor issue in the assy using the photo instructions from his website, but I was impressed how well it was designed and it was right on the money as far as being square. It appears at first measurement I will need to make the basic 2.x frame maybe at least another 100mm longer, I will take some time tomorrow and do the actual. I want to just make the door in an L shape so I can just slide the above frame right in from the front. My rough measurement of the OD is 800 mm wide plus another 100mm for the X motor stick out and 600 mm front to back.

FYI I anyone is doing this, do yourself a big favor and get a metric tape measure. Got mine from McMaster Carr it was like $12 I think for one that measures up 5 meters. I can find the PN and post here if someone wants.

I never did find a DXF file with the dimensions of the frame but the PDF files are wonderfully detailed and dimensioned.
Retired guy, Central Iowa US. Master Electrician Hobby Machine and Metal Fab Shop.
wmgeorge

Previous

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.