Creating Build Logs

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Creating Build Logs

Postby bdring » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:23 pm

I have a new concept for creating buildlogs. I wanted to run it past the group. It seems like everyone is pretty comfortable with posting to the forums, but taking the extra step towards making a full build log is either a little too intimidating or too much work.

I thought a forum based build log might be a better approach. I would create a forum called "Build Logs". If you wanted to create a build log, you would start a topic in this forum. Every time you wanted to create an entry, you would add a post to that topic. Anyone could comment on your topic, but you would be the "owner" of that topic. All your posts would be considered log entries and other people's posts would be considered comments.

I did a little hacking of phpBB over the weekend and I think I can parse the topic into a decent build log. I hooked one forum topic to a web page. Try the link below.

http://www.buildlog.net/buildlog/view_log.php

This build log shows everyones posts, but on a real build log it would show the owner's posts as entries and the others as comments at the bottom. It is a little crude right now. I wanted to get some feedback first.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Creating Build Logs

Postby lasersafe1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:41 pm

I think that could work, but there is always a trend of too much Q&A within the log. I think people should try to keep their personal build in a statement form and then run off to the general Q&A areas for discussions. They can always refer over to their build with a shortcut link. Or is that too convoluted?
lasersafe1

Postby bdring » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:01 pm

Yes, I agree completely. CNCZone is full of forum based build logs that are more comments than substance. A drag to read if you are trying to follow the build.

The default view of the web page build log could be only the posts of the owner, with some sort of link to the "comments". So it could be presented exactly like my build log. There would be a way for the owner to tag a post as a comment response so it does not show up in the "flow".

At the back end it is all database driven so there could be many ways to present it. The reader could choose the preferred way. Some people might like to read it chronologically and some may want to view most recent first (blog style).
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby willyinaus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:03 pm

I was just going to start the blog you set up for me today anyway and yes I would be happy with doing it this way saves me paling with HTML etc, the HTML isn't a problem but doing by posts would be faster for me I guess.

Make one up for me and I will give it a try.

Willy
willyinaus

Return to General Discussion