Rubber Stamps

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Rubber Stamps

Postby whmeade10 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with making rubber stamps with their 2.x. I have been wanting to try it out and ordered some odorless material from Laser Bits that came in today. Any thoughts are greatly welcome. I will post pics tomorrow weather good or bad. I am going to Make a standard address stamp and let my kids come up with a couple other designs. I am using the Newer LO DSP controller.

Thanks,
BIll
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Grade Engrave Mode

Postby bdring » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:07 pm

I have always wanted to try it too. I think the DSP controller has a special "grade engrave" mode for it. It gives a bit of a ramp like support to the edges. I is supposed to help thin walls stay rigid.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Rubber Stamps

Postby greenvandan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:11 am

I don't have any personal experience but I remembered seeing this linoleum block on the Laser Cutter blog http://thelasercutter.blogspot.com/2012 ... block.html
same principle really. That's a cool blog too to see things people are making with laser cutters.
greenvandan

Postby twehr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:05 pm

whmeade10 wrote:Hey guys, just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with making rubber stamps with their 2.x. I have been wanting to try it out and ordered some odorless material from Laser Bits that came in today. Any thoughts are greatly welcome. I will post pics tomorrow weather good or bad. I am going to Make a standard address stamp and let my kids come up with a couple other designs. I am using the Newer LO DSP controller.

Thanks,
BIll

I have engraved some stamps with the "oderless" material from Laser Bits. (It is not oderless, but lower oder than the cheaper kind.

I found that I could get really good results if I went slow enough to get pretty deep engraving. The ramp settings allow you to burn slow and deep and still get a nice clean top surface.

Once you get the rubber engraved, you need to mount it on something pretty firm - I just tested with spray adhesive on a block of wood. If you have double-face carpet tape (the foam kind) it may do even better. It provides a bit of a cushioned mount but still maintains the flatness of the wood block.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby whmeade10 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:05 pm

twehr wrote:
I have engraved some stamps with the "orderless" material from Laser Bits. (It is not oderless, but lower oder than the cheaper kind.

I thought I ordered the "no odor" rubber but got the low odor instead. :o Man that stuff stinks! My family came rushing into the laser room thinking it was on fire or something, then left quickly due to the odor. :lol: Here are a couple pics. The rubber is about 1/8" thick and I need to engrave deeper. I will have to try again when I am the only one home.

If I set the laser to SPD 25 and PWR to 45 (55 is 100% on my laser) the stamps will come out looking pretty good.

DSC_3447.JPG
As you can see, don't forget to mirror the design.

DSC_3448.JPG
Going to engrave deeper next time.

Cheers,
Bill
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby rsm5178 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:54 pm

@whmeade10

Did you ever have any luck with the Light Object DSP for stamp making?

The Epilog we have a work has a ramping feature for stamps. I was wondering if something similar is available on the LO DSP (I have the X7).

Thanks,

Rich
rsm5178

Return to General Discussion