Introductions.. UK builder here...

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Introductions.. UK builder here...

Postby Kingdomoffurr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:05 am

Hello everyone :)

I live in the UK and I have just finished a degree in design technology. I think I am competent enough to build the laser 2.0 and I plan to start soon.

I still have access to the DT DEPT In the university with access to CNC routers, a laser cutter. ( not good enough to cut metal ) and a 3D printer - if I ask nicely.

Is there anyone in the UK that has built one, or is planning on building one? I could use some help if possible, or perhaps we can help each other and source parts?

To those around the world that have built one... In terms of electronics, could you guys give me advice on substitute parts, if I source the links to the parts?

My plan to give back to the community is this... I will be posting, in a PDF document, a very very detailed step by step visual documentation and instruction of the build.

I may then plan to become a UK based supplier of parts for the project

Finally, the cutting bed is roughly 300 x 500 mm, in the opinion of those that have built it.. If the bed was extended to eg 600 x 600, would this still be useable, and would it be accurate?

Regards

Ryan
Kingdomoffurr

Re: Introductions.. UK builder here...

Postby Kingdomoffurr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:51 pm

I guess no ones that friendly or from the uk here? Whatever happened to the global community? :(
:)
Kingdomoffurr

Postby Oli » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:57 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Oli on Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oli

Postby SystemsGuy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:09 am

UK, Kent area here - for the time being. I've got a load of Ordbot bits I picked up stateside and hope to start assembling in the new year, as well as enough machined parts to build a second.. Assuming and hoping I get in on round #7 of the 2.x kits, I'll be wandering down that road as well....
SystemsGuy

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:33 am

Also UK (Surrey). I plan to build an ORD Bot soon. I have an eShapeOko (ShapeOko clone with some changes) which I currently use as a 3D printer. I need to move to a larger house with a garage before I can build a laser. :)
cvoinescu

Postby carl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:16 am

Hi! Whilst I'm not in the UK, I am just a short swim away in France (then a very long drive, but still, it's not that far away). I went through the whole process of importing parts for my ORD Bot (initially with a mechanical platform from ATI) followed by countless parcels of bits over many months, mainly from the US when I had no luck sourcing locally. That said, now I pretty much have everything required, serious illness put the build on hold, but feel free to ask any questions (PM or mail is fine).

I'm guessing we may be able to help one another with spares or bulk buys, especially for the times when shipping costs more than the item itself. My plan was to build a laser after the Hadron.
carl

Postby jregholdsworth » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:17 am

I'm in the UK (Wales) so a bit of a way from Kent..I've built a cnc router, hot wire foam cutter and just about to start on an eshapeoko machine (hi Caitlin)...there is a bloke in Bristol whose building a laser cutter and Igull outside Edindburgh whose also building one. He is someone who has helped me in the past when I was building my router..so may be worth a ping..

any help I can give I'm willing to try..I've always fancied a laser cutter after seeing Goldfinger..but I guess its a little bit dangerous as a tool

regards JH
jregholdsworth

Postby carl » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:37 am

UK/European bulk buy? I came across this 618 nylon filament which looks interesting to print with. It does, however, cost more to ship than the spools alone. It could be worthwhile three or more interested parties splitting the shipping costs? I would be interested in a spool (it's available from Germany but at €45 for 500g).
carl

Postby SystemsGuy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 am

I've got a couple of spools I picked up stateside last trip - not had enough time to try them out. I'm headed back over to London on the 7th, so no time to grab more this trip, but I'll be doing a run again in early Feb.
SystemsGuy

Postby carl » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:26 am

I suppose it's even better when folks can go in person (I'm probably off to a US client in April or so). When time's a little more free I'll make a list of some of the surplus parts I needed to order in bulk (I have spare imperial spring plungers to try with my Qu-bd extruder, for example, plus odds such as nylon P-clips to tidy cables, ready to vanity tint in blue (!) which I added to Farnell US orders; they'll see some use but not a pack of 100).
carl

Next

Return to General Discussion