Print bed design

General discussion of 3D printers

Print bed design

Postby gazob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:35 am

Hi all, new here, Im playing the waiting game on one of the 30 hadrons from Automation technologies.

Have most of my build nutted out, wont be straying too far from the standard build.

Have looked through numerous buildlogs, and didnt see alot of details on the buildup of printbeds.

From what Ive seen most use a spring, and washers to space the top plate from the bottom plate and then tighten (or loosen) to allow the printbed to be levelled.

Cons of the above would be the 10mm+ of Z height lost, and possibly a shaky print surface.

Pros are that it is relatively easy to adjust bed height on the four corners, and the glass top has a little give if the printhead gets wound down too far.

How often would we need to level the bed if the height was set with shims rather than springs and bolts?

It would certainly be easier to build without the springs and bolts, would be harder to level, but to my mind would not require adjusting as much, or maybe I havent thought it through enough.

GaZ
gazob

Re: Print bed design

Postby gazob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:34 pm

48 views no opinions. may just suck it and see
gazob

Postby Zat German » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:49 am

I don't use springs anymore because they caused too much movement with how fast my Hadron moves. This caused prints to have a ripple in the Y axis. I just used bolts and shims.
Zat German

Postby Nick Brawne » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:29 pm

I have seen a design that uses three screws placed near the center of the build area that compress a large hard rubber washer instead of springs. The advantages are that it takes up less space, and that having three points of adjustment makes it easier to level than the four corner method. If you go this way, one note is to always tighten, and never loosen to level (better to have more compression than less).
Nick Brawne

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion