QU-BU Extruder Improvements

General discussion of 3D printers

countersinking Barrel

Postby bdring » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Countersinking the barrel would help. It already has a little countersink, so It would only help a little.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Tip

Postby bdring » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 am

One thing I don't like about the extruder is the tip. The QU-BD picture looks like this.

tip_01.JPG

But what I got was this.

DSC00317.JPG

There is virtually no shoulder around the tip. The knife edge tip will be very easy to damage. Mine is already a little raggedy and this one has never been used.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: QU-BU Extruder Improvements

Postby Enraged » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:19 am

yes they are easy to damage. both of my extruders came assembled, and both nozzles were smashed. I just got replacements sent from QUBD, at no charge, but I haven't run the machine with them yet.
Enraged

Postby roberlin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:21 pm

What kind of effect does a damaged tip have on the print?
(I'm curious, so I know what to look out for -- I will admit to an occasional head crash)
roberlin

Postby bdring » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 pm

What kind of effect does a damaged tip have on the print?

The hole would no longer be round and affect the shape of the extruded material. I have noticed my filament extrudes at a slight angle. I am still extruding without stopping, but I have not yet printed. I am trying to get Repetier going. It is great, but thinks it is smarter than I am with the Z. I just want to do a few practice prints before I set the Z limit switch...Grrrr
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Check out the development branch of Repetier (0.80) from the git repo.
It's much easier to handle, especially where limit switches and directions are concerned. You can disable the min/max hardware limit switches on a per-axis basis and changing the homing directions works. All the units are in mm/s too, whereas 0.7x had some in mm/s and some in mm/min, causing confusion.

Edit: actually, i could never get limit switches and homing directions right in 0.7x. I think it was bugged (i.e. completely ignoring the homing direction and the limit switch toggles). BTW, 0.80 has PID autotune as well (M303 P<extruder number> S<target temp>).
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: nozzle tip... mine are the same way if not a bit sharper:

orcinus

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Orcinus, I was talking to someone the other day and I suggested that there was no reason (except software) why we could not decompose objects other than in flat layers. For instance, to make an object with a domed top, it may look nicer to follow the contours in the XZ or YZ plane, at least for the skin, rather than always slicing parallel to the XY plane. He promptly shot me down by reminding me that the nozzle had a flat, which needs to run tangent to the direction of movement. So, short of 4 or 5-axis motion, that could not be done. However, with a nozzle like yours, it may just be possible!
cvoinescu

Postby bdring » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Check out the development branch of Repetier (0.80)

What versions of Host and Firmware are you using.

I am using 0.82b for host and 0.71 for Firmware. I can only find firmware up to 0.73
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:03 pm

bdring wrote:What versions of Host and Firmware are you using.
I am using 0.82b for host and 0.71 for Firmware. I can only find firmware up to 0.73

I'm on mac host 0.51 and firmware 0.80.
You can find 0.80 in the development branch: https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Fi ... evelopment

There is no download for 0.80, you'll need to "git clone" the repository to get it.

cvoinescu wrote:So, short of 4 or 5-axis motion, that could not be done. However, with a nozzle like yours, it may just be possible!

You'd still need a 5-axis machine, because the extrusion would be coming out at an angle even with a perfect needle-point nozzle.
On top of that, depending on the angle on the Z plane, you'd run a risk of nozzle dragging into the previous layers' infill (as they are discrete steps, not a continuous surface). It could work with a (much) more complicated software, though, and a sharp nozzle, yeah.
orcinus

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion