General discussion of 3D printers

Re: QU-BU Extruder Improvements

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 pm

orcinus wrote:You'd still need a 5-axis machine, [...]

Back to the drawing board, then! How hard can it be?! :ugeek:
cvoinescu

Postby lambinator » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:00 am

Enraged wrote:yes they are easy to damage. both of my extruders came assembled, and both nozzles were smashed. I just got replacements sent from QUBD, at no charge, but I haven't run the machine with them yet.

Same here - the packaging was so poor that one of the fans got cracked and a heatsink got bunged up too - no big deal for the heatsink. Hopefully they'll learn how to package a shipment using a proper sized box and bublewrap next time instead of just wrapping the extruders in paper....

They did mention that they were going to use "updated geometry like the Makerbot MK8 nozzles", but the website still has the original nozzle picture. Maybe that explains the nozzles that we received.

Thanks for alerting us to the potential nozzle damage - I had to check mine with a magnifying glass (older eyes don't see tiny details so well) to see the damaged.
lambinator

STL Files

Postby bdring » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:50 am

Here are my STL files for my version of the QU-BD extruder fix. This should be used with the better drive gear for best performance. Use the middle sized spring from the home depot assortment pack.

render.png

render2.png

Editted: Use a 4mm ID x 5mm Thk x 13mm O.D. Bearing with a 4mm x 10mm low profile head screw.
Attachments
qd_lever.zip
(21.81 KiB) Downloaded 1148 times
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:09 am

How high do temps above the QU-BD heat barrier block go in actual use?
Can this be printed out of PLA?
orcinus

Postby bdring » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:54 am

So far I am not really even seeing the large block getting warm. I was pretty careful about using heatsink grease on everything, but I am not sure that was required. My motor is not warm either. I think PLA would work.

I want to work on a tube for the filament next. I want to reduce the tugging and slacking of the filament. I had one print almost get wrecked because a one turn came off the reel sideways and that somehow caused a tangle like situation on the reel.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Have you tried not using reels? :)

I cut a guestimate of filament from a reel or a fat roll needed for a print session (or a few of them) and hang the loop off the desk lamp.
It works pretty well, the loops (1-3 meters) are usually light enough that they roll around the lamp freely, and even if it all just uncoils and tumbles from it, it's still light enough not to cause any disturbance in the print (you just need to make sure it doesn't fall on the print bed or anywhere near the rails).

Added bonus - you can keep the reel sealed in a bag and open it only when prepping for a print.

Oh, and if you ever run out of filament mid-print, you can always just feed a new filament in without stopping, immediately following the end of the previous one. All it takes is a *very* light push, at least with Greg's extruder w/ a guidler - the bolt just bites into the new filament as soon as it gets near it. Not sure if that would work with a QU-BD and similar extruders...
orcinus

Filament Feeder

Postby bdring » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:18 pm

My current setup is quite reliable. I just hit print and it goes. I don't even pre-run the extruder. I just have slicer add a few loops. I don't want to add the extra steps, so it is easier for the PS:One folks to use.

My ultimate goal is to make my own reusable "cartridges". This would be an enclosed reel. It would have a "gland" for the filament to exit and a wiper to clean the filament. It would keep the filament clean and dry.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:28 pm

Hmmm. I like that idea.
An enclosure for reels would be a pretty awesome thing to have.

Maybe even stuff it with dessicants and add a moisture indicator window :)
orcinus

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:35 pm

@bdring: Don't forget the chip, so that it knows when it's empty and the printer refuses to use it if refilled with third-party filament. :twisted:
cvoinescu

Postby robotdad » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:02 pm

A package from Denmark arrived for the beginning of my staycation so I'm about to start this project. I'm going to attempt polishing the inside of the barrel with sting and brasso. Bart, I see the dimensions on that bearing but don't know how to identify it. All I've got are 608s, I noticed the Thingiverse version of this uses 623s. I'm not sure I can source bearings locally, so this may turn into another wait either way.
robotdad

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion