RoBo 3D kickstarter printer, Your opinon?

General discussion of 3D printers

RoBo 3D kickstarter printer, Your opinon?

Postby Seshan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:29 am

So I've wanted a 3D printer for years, ever since I saw on a 3D model of a car appear out of resin after a laser was shinned on it (I probably saw that 10 years ago, discovery channel maybe? Wish I could find the video)

Anyways, Not having a lot of money is leaving me with less options. I found this one called RoBo 3D, I was looking for some of your opinions of what you think of it. It seems to be similar to the printrbot. It has a 10x10x8 build area, with options to have a heated platform. Also, After all the fee's they have about $400 to build each printer, and they are building about 900, Do you guys think it's feasible to do at that price point?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/168 ... 3d-printer
Seshan

Re: RoBo 3D kickstarter printer, Your opinon?

Postby SystemsGuy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13 am

If the can deliver, on paper it appears to be an typical RepRap sorta printer with the associated OpenSource toolchain. Comparing it to the Rep2 or Rep 2x is a bit of a stretch IMHO, as they are providing a customized toolchain..

You could do a OrdBot for a bit more, and get it "now". The biggest piece you will need if this is your first RepRap is the support community - it's not going to work as expected out of the box..
SystemsGuy

Postby Zat German » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:39 pm

I don't like the parallel linear rod designs, mainly because I've had no luck getting getting them parallel. If it's off by even a little, it won't move well(or at all if extremely off).
Zat German

Postby Seshan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 pm

I like the ORD bot and I originally wanted to make a 3D printer, but the problem is that I'm in Canada and sourcing parts is a pain in the a$$, I can't even find MXL pulleys or belts locally, but those are the easy parts to order from the US.
Seshan

Postby nismobg » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:40 am

IMHO the 300-400$ printers off the shelf at the moment are complete crap. Lets take for account the ORD Bot(which should be the example for good price/quality printer in the lowest price bracket), its like 450$ for the kit. No extruder(40-150$), no electronics ( 150-200$), plus glass bed and heated bed up to 60$, 1 roll of filament(it's never only one :) to get you started - 35-45$, PSU from 25-80$ and another at least 50$ in extra hardware and wires. So the total is in let say average 800-900$ to get you printing comfortably on a good printing platform. You can go dirt cheap with those 200-300 dollar printers but you will experience massive amount of problems(no matter what they tell you) starting from something simple as the cheap lead screws, nuts, under performing extruders, bad filament quality, dirt cheap shit quality bend, chipped, wrong size drilled plates(progware comes to mind), and the list goes on and on. So at the end is pretty much you get what you paid for. You cant produce quality product for this amount of money no matter how much we all would like to see cheap 3d printers.

P.S. Mark my words this Robo thing will be worst then the QU-BD extruder story, but again you get what you paid for.
nismobg

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion