J-Head Nozzle 3D Model

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: J-Head Nozzle 3D Model

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks....that will help me get a jump on the design before the parts arrive.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bdring » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:10 am

It arrived. :D
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby SystemsGuy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:13 am

Would you mind posting up some photo's of it, looking down the "top" hole? I'm curious if yous has a retention ring or not. My clone did not, and it caused problems - pretty trivial to retrofit, but....

bdring wrote:It arrived. :D
SystemsGuy

Postby bdring » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:42 am

The top has a Allen key fitting in it.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby brnrd » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:11 pm

I hope you're working with J-head Mk-V version. I think the ones before that had a taper where the PTFE meets the brass block. Because of this, the PTFE constricts the hole if the setscrew is too tight. I also think that with time, it gets tighter since the PTFE goes deeper into the brass block and gets hotter. In the Mk-V, there is no taper and the PTFE doesn't go in as deep. The Mk-V also has a longer melt zone.
brnrd

Postby bdring » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:32 pm

It is an MK-IV.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby brnrd » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Is it for 1.75 mm filament? I've only used 3 mm ABS so your experience might be different from mine. I've found the Mk-V to be more stable and reliable. Note that it's important to tune the PID parameters (Marlin) so that you don't overheat your hotend due to too much overshoot.
brnrd

Postby SystemsGuy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:50 pm

I get lost on the versions of the j-heads - need to go read the wiki! One on the 1.75mm versions was a converted 3mm, but the latest is milled and drilled for 1.75mm only.

I really like the j-heads - I think they are about the best of the PEEK based hotends. I'm really curious - and wanting more spare time - to play with stainless a bit more...
SystemsGuy

Postby mhensen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:13 am

If all is going well I will be getting my J-head V 1.75/.35 nozzle within the next week ..
So if anyone wants I can give a small review of it based on PLA and ABS?

Will try and put it in a direct drive system under repetier as I will be using 1.75.. (got rid off all the 3.0 stuff )
mhensen

Postby SystemsGuy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:48 am

ABS IMHO is easy with the j-head, but 95% of my abs printing is with a 3mm/.35mm J-head. It also prints PLA beautifully, but seems to want to be run a bit hotter than my other heads.

The 1.75/.35mm has only done PLA, but it's done quite a bit. It likes to be cooled on it's fins, and again I tend to run it a bit hot - but I also print 100mm/s sorta speeds out of it as well. The new version of Repetier firmware says I've printed 336 meters of filament since I upgraded on Wednesday - been a busy week! :-)

I'm not using a direct drive on either - I'm using a PG35L on the 1.75, and a bog standard Greg's Wade's on the 3mm. I've the best intention of swapping the Greg's for a phidgets planetary Nema17 as well, just not gotten around to wrapping up the design...

The 1.75 is easy to push filament through, the 3mm a bit harder - I strongly suspect you could use direct drive with it with no problems.

Neither likes to be "overheated" - if you print PLA and it get's too hot, it will start leaking. Also, since it's PTFE lined, you want to stay below 248c... If you got yours from Brian (hotends.com), there is an adjustment ring in the top you'll want to make sure is snug - he usually ships them adjusted pretty well. Nozzle has a nice shoulder - I've crashed mine a couple of times in building this last ordbot, and it's not been damaged.

mhensen wrote:If all is going well I will be getting my J-head V 1.75/.35 nozzle within the next week ..
So if anyone wants I can give a small review of it based on PLA and ABS?

Will try and put it in a direct drive system under repetier as I will be using 1.75.. (got rid off all the 3.0 stuff )
SystemsGuy

Previous

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion