15 min fix for jam free QU-BD

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: 15 min fix for jam free QU-BD

Postby jonasthomas » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:40 pm

I tried this mod and it worked great. I had gotten about 20-30 hours printing out of it and then my nozzle clogged. I noticed that the heat had traveled up the tube and then pla had siezed on the the ss retainer holding the ptfe tubing (I believe after the clog)
It seems to me that that od of the PTFE liner should be smaller to make the tube stronger and the retainer should be PTFE.

I machined my own stainless steel tube as well as one piece PTFE liner/retainer (liner od was 1/8") I then assembled the tube and the liner prior to screwing it into the cold end bracket as an assembly so I wouldn't put any torsional strains on the thin liner.

I managed to get one good print off with this mod when I noticed my nozzle was leaking. (I was tired and should have left it for the next day) Anyway, I wound up stripping out my heater block an breaking the thermisor wire. In hind sight I think the flat I put on my homemade tube was inadequete which result in the leak :roll: On the plus side with all the torqueing I was trying to do the tube did not snap.

At this point, I can't say how well this works, but I think it should. I plan to redo this and machine up an extra one for a friend to have some multiple testing on this mod

jonasthomas

Step by Step QUBD Custom Barrel

Postby MSketcher » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:03 pm

I just wanted to share my step by step tutorial on how to build your own custom PTFE lined barrel. Thanks to all the original contributors, you saved me from kicking my printer off my desk! http://www.mastersketchup.com/qubd-extruder-jam-fix/
MSketcher

Re: 15 min fix for jam free QU-BD

Postby Garrett » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:44 am

I wanted to thank you. I followed your tutorial and voila, I was printing.

I picked up a cheap drill-press from Harbor Freight (I had been meaning to anyway) and I got the drill bits from Home Depot.
I found the PFTE in stock at Fry's Electronics (as an assorted size package).

With a little finesse, I had everything finished.

Thank you!! :D
Garrett

Previous

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion