RUMBA board doesn't accept 12V?

General discussion of 3D printers

RUMBA board doesn't accept 12V?

Postby sacha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a RUMBA board to work, but I haven't had any luck - it doesn't seem to be using the 12V power I'm giving it.

It powers up via USB and takes Repetier firmware just fine - I have a reprap discount smart controller attached, and it displays stuff nicely.

What is does not do is anything with 12V - if I change the power supply jumper to StandAlone and turn on my 12V power supply, I get nothing, no power lights, no motor locking up, etc.

If I turn on 12V power while on USB power, the motor drivers don't heat up and the motors don't lock up either.

Any ideas?
sacha

Re: RUMBA board doesn't accept 12V?

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:35 am

It's a stupid question, but where are you applying 12 V? Hopefully, on the terminals marked MAIN-PWR. Check that the polyfuse next to those terminals is good. Also, with power on, check that you have whatever voltage you're applying present on the PWR header (next to the HE0 screw terminal).

Check that you have 5 V and 12 V on the headers between the ATmega16U2 and the ATmega2560. (12 V may actually be less or not present at all -- it's the output of a regulator supplied from MAIN-PWR, so it may not kick in properly until that's a few volts above 12 V. That's not a problem, because only HE2, FAN0 and FAN1 are supplied from that, and you can always flip the jumpers to supply them from MAIN-PWR instead of the on-board 12 V.)

Measure between the 'Standalone' jumper and ground -- should be 5 V. Measure the 5 V supply pin of the drivers.
cvoinescu

Postby sacha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi, yes, I'm applying the 12V to MAIN PWR, and my polarity is correct, and I do measure 12V at the screw terminals.

I have checked the continuity of the two poly fuses and they look good.

I'll make the rest of the checks later today - thanks for the help!
sacha

Postby sacha » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:13 am

It's a stupid question, but where are you applying 12 V? Hopefully, on the terminals marked MAIN-PWR. Check that the polyfuse next to those terminals is good. Also, with power on, check that you have whatever voltage you're applying present on the PWR header (next to the HE0 screw terminal).

Check that you have 5 V and 12 V on the headers between the ATmega16U2 and the ATmega2560. (12 V may actually be less or not present at all -- it's the output of a regulator supplied from MAIN-PWR, so it may not kick in properly until that's a few volts above 12 V. That's not a problem, because only HE2, FAN0 and FAN1 are supplied from that, and you can always flip the jumpers to supply them from MAIN-PWR instead of the on-board 12 V.)

OK, here's what I'm seeing:
MAIN PWR: 12.18V
HB PWR: 12.19V
PWR header next to HE0: 12.18V
Headers between the ATmega16U2 and the ATmega2560:
5V header: 1.74V
12V header: 11.91V

So it looks like the 5V header isn't getting power (which does explain why things aren't working - the 2560 isn't powering on).

...any ideas what I should do now?
sacha

Postby cvoinescu » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:00 am

Remove all the drivers, maybe there's a short on one of them, and try measuring again. Also check around the 5 V regulator (it's the one to the left of the MAIN-PWR screw terminals, including the components near it, such as the larger inductor labelled '330' and a few capacitors and resistors in that area), maybe there's a drop of solder shorting something. If you still don't have 5 V, talk to the guys at RepRapDiscount and see if they'll replace the board for you. (I'm sure it can actually be repaired, but it's not something I could walk you through over the net. I'm nowhere near that good.) :)
cvoinescu

Postby sacha » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:21 pm

AAAAH! it was the X driver! So annoying!

Thanks a lot for the help!
sacha

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Glad you found the problem. It's even more annoying when you don't... :)
cvoinescu

Postby jwd » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi ,
I just got my RUMBA board and have simular issues:

I was able to upload the Marlin firmware and to have the motors running 2 days ago.
But now the only way to communicate with the board is the use of the USB jumper setting, and the motors are completely dead.
I use a modified ATX power supply and measure on:
- the main PWR pins: 12.76 Volts.
- 12.76 Volts on the 2 header pins between the main power screw connector and the fan screw connectors.
- on the 5 Volt header pins just left of the "USB power- stand alone" Jumper I measure 5.6 Volts

The motors have moved barely because I was busy installing an checking the correct endstop mechanisal switches 2 days ago.
At every change (adding an mechanical endstop) I turned the power off.

I am suprised that there is so little good documentation about jumper settings available. .........
Does anyone have a suggestion about a solution?

Regards,

JW Driessen
jwd

Postby reprapdiscount » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi, i think i can help you. please PM me the date of purchase of your board and the name of the seller, and your address of course. In case your board has warranty i will send you a replacement ASAP
http://forum.reprapdiscount.com/forums/oss/

Best Regards,
reprapdiscount

Contacts:

google talk: reprapdiscount
whatsapp: +8613267235555 (preferable)
wechat: reprapdiscount (preferable)
QQ: reprapdiscount
phone: +8613267235555
reprapdiscount

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion