ABS not dissolving very well in Acetone

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: ABS not dissolving very well in Acetone

Postby jammer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:56 am

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up using the ABS juice that I had even though it didn't look like much of my ABS dissolved in it. It worked perfectly. There was no lifting, the parts stuck enough that I had to pry them up a little to break them loose after the bed cooled. I tried the AquaNet Super Extra Hold technique a couple of weeks ago but couldn't stand the really thick hairspray smell. Maybe I had too much on it or my bed temp was too high but it felt like someone had spray that stuff in my nose and mouth.

I have a new issue with my hobbed bolt shredding my filament but I will post that in the OrdBot forum. Thanks again for the tips!
jammer

Postby DonaldJ » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:09 am

AquaNet makes an "unscented" variant which isn't totally scent-free, but very tolerable.

It's in a purple can.
DonaldJ

Postby flickerfly » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:50 pm

For my ABS, I've started using an Elmer's School Glue Transparent Drying Glue Stick. You can get them at the dollar store for almost nothing and can apply it to a small area easily. It sticks much more solidly, comparable to what I've seen PLA do on glass. I don't know why it works, but it does.
flickerfly

Postby MiguelKendrick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:02 am

“Has anyone compiled a list of filament suppliers and their associated filament characteristics. That would be a great thread to make into a sticky.” - You can try the 3d2print.net. Their list of filament with specified characteristics might help you find what you’re looking for.
3D2PRINT - Creating 3D Dimension
MiguelKendrick

Postby blah_59 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:42 am

MIGUELKENDRICK, we got it! You work for 3d2print, we understand. Your posts would be more helpful if they had substance other than you pimping your companies product. Very subtle dude.
blah_59

Previous

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion