Z Axis Movement Issues

General discussion of 3D printers

Z Axis Movement Issues

Postby hansk1990 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:10 am

Hi Guys,
I'm currently having issues with my z-axis movements. To set the scene, I am using a Azteeg X1 board, running repetier firmware (adjusted to suit Azteeg boards) and interfacing using Repetier-Host for mac. For some strange reason, all my axis work in both + and - directions except the z axis. It will only move in the positive direction, ignoring any commands in the negative direction. I have tried swapping the stepper driver boards, but no change to either axis. I have re-uploaded the firmware, no change. I have tested the steppers on other axis sockets to verify the wiring/motors are ok and they perform fine. I have checked the DIR pin on the stepper driver board and it switches from low to high and back to low as required, but will not produce motor movement when fed a negative z axis command. I assume the steppers are connected correctly as i get movement when plugged into other sockets. I have tried manually jogging the motors using g-code commands but no change was noted. I have tried running a test piece, but no change was noted. Any ideas?? I'm completely lost for direction atm and really hoping it isnt an issue with the board. Is there any way I can test the board to confirm there is no issues?
Thanks for your help,
Scott
hansk1990

Re: Z Axis Movement Issues

Postby Gadroc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:34 pm

That sounds like your Z Axis limit switch is misconfigured. The system thinks the Z axis min direction switch is tripped and will not move further in that direction it will only move away from it.
Gadroc

Postby evil2002usna » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:26 am

i have had instances like this happen on my machine as well. It is very intermittent and doesn't happen often, but when it does i can usually resolve it by pressing the home all axis button. After that it works again. It sounds like you have probably already tried that during your troubleshooting. Have you tried Marlin as an alternative firmware to see if the issue happens to see if it is a setup issue?
evil2002usna

Postby hansk1990 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:33 am

Thanks for the help guys, turns out it was a limit switch problem! What I've determined is that contrary to the wiring diagram provided by Panucatt, I have to toggle the signal in pin for each of the limit switches from high to low. Although their diagram shows you only need to toggle to low. Im thinking this is probably an issue in the firmware, something to do with a limit switch setting. Any chance anyone would know of a quick fix/solution for this?
hansk1990

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 am

I don't understand. How would you toggle a signal to low, other than from high?
cvoinescu

Postby hansk1990 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 am

Wow.....that's embarrassing.....good point. Problem sovled! Thanks for your help guys :)
hansk1990

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion