Extruder Stepper Dead?

General discussion of 3D printers

Extruder Stepper Dead?

Postby madmike8 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:44 pm

I changed my Extruder over to a Airtripper design with MK8 Gear. It seemed to be working well until it starting making a loud chattering noise. I thought the drive gear had slipped, but when I unbolted the stepper it was on tight. Now when I use Pronterface to move the stepper, it makes a chattering noise and wiggles back and forth. I tried another stepper driver with the same results. Is this fixable? Any idea what caused it?
madmike8

Re: Extruder Stepper Dead?

Postby evil2002usna » Mon May 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Did you check the voltage on your stepper drivers. You might have it dialed down too low. Remove all the filament and spring tension from your extruder and try again. If it runs you might have to raise your voltage up. Also did you disconnect your motors at all. Are they hooked up to your controller correctly. The quickest thing to test is to swap out a stepper driver to see if it starts up again, but if something caused it to fail it could also affect that stepper driver as well.
evil2002usna

Postby fma » Mon May 12, 2014 8:59 pm

It's maybe just a broken wire... If you only has one phase powered, you can get this problem...
Frédéric
fma

Postby cvoinescu » Mon May 12, 2014 9:02 pm

A disconnected winding could cause this -- either broken inside the stepper, or just an interrupted wire or connection. Measure the continuity of the motor windings, ideally at the driver output pins (that way you won't miss a problem in the wire and connectors). Do it with the power off, obviously.
cvoinescu

Postby madmike8 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:35 pm

I'm an Idiot!

Ok, I had swapped drivers and the motor still jittered. So, new motor comes in and I replace the old one. The new motor jitters! That's when I notice the driver I had replaced was E1, not E0! Doh! Anyways put new driver in E0 and all is well...

Good news is I have spare drivers and motor in case of future failures...

Now I've just have to get extruder/slicer/firmware settings right.

Thanks for all the help.
madmike8

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion