DC-KIII CO2 Laser Help

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

DC-KIII CO2 Laser Help

Postby kculm » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi All I am new to the forum and I hope I am posting this in the right place, if not I apologize.

I received my DC-KIII CO2 laser that I bought off of Ebay and I am having a hard time getting it to work.

I use to own an Epilog Laser but I due to lake of work I had to sell it. I was pretty good at using it with Corel Draw and its print driver.

I am still using Corel Draw 5 and The Moshi Draw Left 9.2 and 2012 that came with the DC-KIII. What I don’t understand it the power settings.

I have not been able to find any real Docs on how to use you it. I mostly Cut and Engrave Acrylic.

Any Tips or Information will be deeply appreciated
kculm

Re: DC-KIII CO2 Laser Help

Postby mondo50m » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

I have that particular laser myself. I have converted mine to an LO DSP. I used mine for about a year and a half before doing the conversion. The laser you have has no way of setting the power by using colors as a DSP does. You must just use trial and error with the potentiometer to get the settings that you want. There is an update to the Moshi software, I believe it is Moshi 2013. There is no printer driver for the program. You must build the graphic in a program such as Corel X5 and then either send it straight to the Moshi software, or save it as either a PLT file or BMP file. (at least those are the two that I used). Plt files are for vectoring and BMP file are for engraving. It takes some time to get used to the program.

Milt
mondo50m

Postby kculm » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 pm

mondo50m wrote:I have that particular laser myself. I have converted mine to an LO DSP.

Milt

Can you tell me a little more about this "LO DSP"

Thanks
kculm

Postby mondo50m » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:14 am

LO stands for LightObject, which is an internet site that sells the AWC608 DSP unit. DSP stands for 'Digital Signal Processor.' This is the upgrade of choice for most of the owners of the cheap 40w Chinese units. It allows one to do both cutting and engraving at the same time. It also allows one to designate different speed and power designations according to colors used in the used graphic. It is a whole new world for the inexpensive laser.

Milt
mondo50m

Postby kculm » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:47 am

Is the upgrade Expensive or hard to do?

Also do you remember any of your settings before you upgrade for basic Engraving or cutting of Acrylic? I am having no luck.

Thanks
kculm

Postby mondo50m » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:59 am

Lightobject sells a complete upgrade kit for about $580.00. It is fairly simple to do and should take about 4 hours to complete. I do not remember my settings at all. If it is 3mm acrylic, try using speed of 5 and a power setting of about 9 or 10. These are just estimates, if it does not cut through the 3mm acrylic, then check your beam alignment and the cleanliness of your mirrors and focus lens. These must be clean and the beam must be aligned to work properly. Lightobject.com
mondo50m

Postby kculm » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:17 pm

mondo50m wrote:Lightobject sells a complete upgrade kit for about $580.00. It is fairly simple to do and should take about 4 hours to complete. I do not remember my settings at all. If it is 3mm acrylic, try using speed of 5 and a power setting of about 9 or 10. These are just estimates, if it does not cut through the 3mm acrylic, then check your beam alignment and the cleanliness of your mirrors and focus lens. These must be clean and the beam must be aligned to work properly. Lightobject.com

Ok, Just ordered my Upgrade Kit and Power table/ bed kit for K40 small laser machine . I am not even going to play with the Engraver until I get it upgraded. If you know of any links to tutorials or videos on how to upgrade and use that would be very helpful.

Thanks
kculm

Postby mondo50m » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Go to the LightObject website and then to the forum. There is an area there devoted to the upgrade process for the K40.

Milt
mondo50m

Return to 2.x Laser Support