Build Help

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Build Help

Postby turbodave » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:24 am

I am looking into building one of these, but it seems Bart no longer sells kits? And in the BOM there are a bunch of parts needed from Buildlog.net. If Bart no longer sells these parts do I need to figure out how to get these parts? I am looking at the BOM here:

http://www.buildlog.net/sm_laser/drawings.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Also I wanted to know if the frame can just be bought through 80/20 or something? I have an inventible cnc and I am not really impressed with it. I am hoping this laser will be much better?

Thanks for the info.
turbodave

Re: Build Help

Postby sshwarts » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi Dave. I'm glad you posted and sorry I didn't have a chance to respond to your message.

All of the parts can be sourced from various vendors or some people here on buildlog. Your main vendors would be (here in the US):

www.inventables.com - makeslide and related
sdp-si.com - belts
McMaster Carr - hardware
lightobject.com (power supply, DSP if go that way, tube)
Misumi (20x20 rail and connectors)
And of course Amazon, eBay et al.

The plastic parts that were machined originally, can be 3D printed quite easily.

You can find all of my STL files here: https://github.com/sshwarts/2.xLaser

However, its easily to take the parts from the step files to generate your own STL files. In fact I really recommend that you should play with the design in your CAD program so you can see how everything fits together.

The cut are depends on your design. I don't remember what the original cut area is, but I scaled mine so I could handle a 18x24 sheet. This openscad file, can help you estimate what you need: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12864

What is it that you want to lasercut? You write that you're not happy with your CNC.

Scott
sshwarts

Postby turbodave » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Scott,

Thank You for the reply. My current Inventible CNC slips a lot and is not accurate when cutting. I bought a new router (Makita) but have not tried it out yet but I find it when cutting being off a lot. I was hoping that the laser would be very accurate as it does not have a load when cutting. For the maker slides can I purchase them from 80/20? I kind of wanted to stay away from inventibles, but I guess the slides is no big deal? Can I assume building this will allow me to cut and engrave/etch? Are you guys using Mach 3 to control the laser?
Sorry for all the simple questions. I am new to this and really want to build one, but want to make sure I will be successful.
turbodave

Postby sshwarts » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:52 pm

I think there's other sources for Makerslide or clones. The laser can be accurate in terms of position, but bear in mind that the kerf can be affected by lots of factors including focus, settings, material choice etc. I use a DSP controller for mine but many use Mach 3. There's advantages and disadvantages of each I feel.
sshwarts

Postby turbodave » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:50 am

18x24 is exactly what I am trying to build. Any chance you can share your plans?

Also sorry I gotta ask can you tell me the difference between dsp and something like Mach 3? I know what Mach 3 does from the cnc world. Is the DSP like a self contained computer or something where you plug in a usb stick and it has arrorws that move in whatever directions you tell it?

Thank You once again.
turbodave

Postby sshwarts » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:31 pm

I don't really have plans per se (other than what I've posted on my github). I used the openscad tool to size by extrusions and then bought Misumi based on that BOM.

If you know Mach 3, then it might make sense for you to run the laser with that. The DSP is a complete controller and software solution that takes a vector file (AI, PDF, DXF) or graphics for engraving and then plans the moves and firing of the laser. Take a look at what lightobject.com offers to get a sense of the DSP.

Scott
sshwarts

Return to 2.x Laser Support