Interface PCB / Stepper Drivers Survey

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

What interface board and stepper configuration do think is best (read blurb below first)

Current Interface PCB and Keling Style Drivers
5%
Current Interface PCB and other drivers
No votes
Current PCB and G540
No votes
New Interface with Pololu drivers
89%
New Interface PCB with other drivers
5%
None...I am doing my own solution.
No votes
Other (detail in topic reply)
No votes

Total votes : 19

Interface PCB / Stepper Drivers Survey

Postby bdring » Fri May 06, 2011 1:05 pm

I am running low on interface PCBs. With the Pololu version coming soon, I am trying to get a feel for how many more boards (current style) I should get. The old board was based on the Keling style controller which has the advantage of super fine step rates that support the Mach3 plugin. The Pololu has the advantage of low cost and less wiring, but lighter duty drivers. Neither directly support the Gecko G540 without a special cable. It is possible that a daughter card could be made to plug into the Pololu board where the drivers go to support other drivers. Below is a survey to help me move forward. If you have already purchased everything, vote as if you were building a new machine.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Interface PCB / Stepper Drivers Survey

Postby Enraged » Fri May 06, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm looking at build a 2.x soon, and support for the Polulu drivers would be great.

I'm still a bit confused on the control of the laser though. With your new pcb that you showed in the blog, would I still need a laser driver board to control the laser power supply, or would I use Mach or EMC to control everything?
Enraged

Postby bdring » Fri May 06, 2011 3:34 pm

Pololu is directly compatible with Mach3 , EMC and the Retina Engrave controller. It will do up to 2000 dpi, so the Mach3 plugin will not have too much power.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby twehr » Fri May 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Even though I use a DSP controller, which already handles much of what the interface board does, I am attracted to the idea of integrated drives on the interface board. When the new board is done, and I find a bit of time to play, I plan to implement a cable or optional interface board between my controller and the BuildLog controller. Doing this has some distinct advantages, I believe.
    1. Eliminates separate drives (3 @ $13 vs 3 @ $50, saves space in the box, really clean wire management).
    2. Ease of swapping controllers if I ever choose to - new controllers' physical connections are reduced to plug-n-play.
    3. The new interface board (currently in development) handles easy switching between PWM and direct-control power levels.
    4. With schematic in hand (and Bart waiting in the wings), tracking down and resolving problems will be much easier that the marriage of separate boards/drives.
    5. Generally speaking, the motors we are using for the 2.x really don't need any extras that may come with other, more expensive drives.
    6. For new laser builders/users, it provides a simplified approach to meeting the electronic requirements of a laser.
All in all, I really like the all-in-one interface approach.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby soehler » Fri May 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi

I also like the idea of eliminating external drivers, easy and cheap swaping and also simplified connections.

I think Pololu board is a good choice

Sergio
soehler

Postby Knack » Fri May 06, 2011 5:58 pm

I did select Option 4 above but I am going to try using some items that I have one hand.

For drivers I have a HobbyCNC Pro Chopper board kit good for 4 axis:
http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbyc ... oard-kits/

And I also have a CNC4PC breakout board:
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product ... cts_id=161

The original plans were to use these to upgrade my EMCO Compact 5 CNC lathe but it looks like I can migrate this hardware over to the V2 cutter.
Chris
Knack

Postby J45on » Fri May 06, 2011 6:19 pm

I am collecting parts for the 2.x laser
And I shall want one of the new Pololu versions when ready :D
J45on

Postby Knack » Fri May 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Knack wrote:I did select Option 4 above but I am going to try using some items that I have one hand.

For drivers I have a HobbyCNC Pro Chopper board kit good for 4 axis:
http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbyc ... oard-kits/

And I also have a CNC4PC breakout board:
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product ... cts_id=161

The original plans were to use these to upgrade my EMCO Compact 5 CNC lathe but it looks like I can migrate this hardware over to the V2 cutter.

For those in the know, has anyone used either of these 2 boards with the laser cutter and Mach?
Chris
Knack

Postby edmond22 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:24 pm

I will use one of the intergrated interface/driver board with the polulu drivers in my 1.0 build as soon as they are available, and the polulu drivers seem perfect for the small Nema 17 steppers most of us use.
edmond22

Postby cpdude » Fri May 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Is Tim a marketing genius or what! Bart put me on the list for one when/if they become available.

Brian
2.x laser ( Mach3 | SmoothStepper | FSE RetinaEngrave)| DIY CNC Router (EMC2) | Prusa I3 3d printer | Building a Wolfstock deta printer | Rhino v5
cpdude

Next

Return to 2.x Laser Support