Out of date drawings

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Out of date drawings

Postby BenJackson » Tue May 24, 2011 7:54 pm

From some assembly work last night. All but the first two are the various idler/pulley assemblies.

• D30014 (table) appears twice (one is old)
  • C30001-020 (laser carriage) calls for "SHMSM545S Pan Head Mach Screw M5 x 45mm" but the kit includes a socket head.
  • B30012 Out of date (should show notched corner)
  • B30023 Out of date (should be single deep)
  • B30029 Out of date (should show rounded top)

For seating the bearings I recommend using the included 1/4" 20 screw plus a fender washer and nut on the far side to pull the bearing in. I kind of which I hadn't used the split lock washer between the double bearings because it rubs. Not sure how you'd get it apart again though.
BenJackson

Re: Out of date drawings

Postby bdring » Tue May 24, 2011 8:40 pm

You need some sort of spacer between bearings so only the inner races touch. This allows the outer race to spin freely without any sideways stress through the balls.

I tried to get creative on the 3D printed idler bearing for the rotary attachment, but made a mistake and ran into this problem.

The spacer/washer must not be too big of a diameter to reach the outer race. The latest split washers were from another lot of washers. Are they hitting the outer race? I can send replacements if that is the case.

I can fix the drawings. The shape of the bearing blocks was only so I could quickly, visually verify the kits. It would probably help builders to update the drawings.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby BenJackson » Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 pm

I figured it was to make them easier to identify, which is why I was confused when they didn't match the drawing. I hadn't thought of it from your end!

B30023 is more than shape, though, since you've gone to a single-deep bearing.

Regarding the split washer, I think it's putting pressure on the seals (or is that called the "shield"?) and causing them to rub. When the assembly is tightened there is uneven resistance as you turn the shaft. I would take them apart to see what's going on but I'd have to press the bearings back out. I'm going to wait and see if I notice it when the machine is under power.
BenJackson

Drawings updated

Postby bdring » Wed May 25, 2011 1:45 pm

The drawings are updated. Thanks.

If the bearings are fully tightened together the lock washer should go flat and not rub anything. If you feel rubbing, you should check it out. There may be a burr on the washer or some other issue. Try screwing together the bearings outside of the plastic block so you can see the problem.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Drawings updated

Postby BenJackson » Wed May 25, 2011 8:22 pm

bdring wrote:If the bearings are fully tightened together the lock washer should go flat and not rub anything. If you feel rubbing, you should check it out. There may be a burr on the washer or some other issue. Try screwing together the bearings outside of the plastic block so you can see the problem.

I will take it apart and check. I'm not sure about your lock washer assertion: The lock washer is pinched together by the inner races which have a tiny sliver of contact with the washer. It must be flat where it touches the inner races, but the twist in the washer probably lets it press against the shields on the sides of the bearing.
BenJackson

Bearing issue

Postby bdring » Wed May 25, 2011 10:51 pm

I did a test of the lock washer outside the plastic. It looks fine to me. I tried both the original washer type I had and the newer lot of washers. They both worked fine. The compression makes them virtually flat. I thought that maybe it would rub before going flat, but that seemed to be fine also.

I would check yours. Maybe there is a barb or flake of material that is causing the problem. You could also have a bad bearing. I'll send you a new set that I have tested if needed.

dbl_bearing.JPG

Bart
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby BenJackson » Thu May 26, 2011 5:20 am

I pressed out the screw/bearing combo from the two worst cases. One rotated freely outside the bracket and once pressed back in it still operated freely. The other one I had to take apart and I found a burr on the split washer that held the bearings at a verrry slight angle to each other. So I think both just had the bearings slightly out of alignment. It would probably be more obvious if the back bearing could be flush to the bracket.

Thanks for the tips.
BenJackson

Postby StigOE » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:04 am

It seems there's a discrepancy between the BOM and 2.x_vrail_assys_rev1. In the BOM there is a HFS5-2040-703-TPW, while in the drawing there is a HFSF5-2040-703-TPW. Which is correct?

Stig
StigOE

Postby BenJackson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:43 pm

I ordered HFS5-2040-703-TPW and I've already built the gantry just fine so it's probably right. The other P/N looks like a typo.
BenJackson

Postby StigOE » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:08 am

BenJackson wrote:I ordered HFS5-2040-703-TPW and I've already built the gantry just fine so it's probably right. The other P/N looks like a typo.

But it's also drawn a HFSF5-2040 extrusion in the drawing, but I guess either can be used.
StigOE

Next

Return to 2.x Laser Support