New Tube Bracket Design

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

New Tube Bracket Design

Postby bdring » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:41 pm

I changed the design of the tube brackets. I did not like the tapped holes in the HDPE. It was a lot of work and I did not like the results. The threads were very tight so it was difficult to know how much force you are putting on the tube.

This uses square nuts in slots. I also added a notch that can be used to pass tubes with long electrodes and other protruding items.

new_tube_bracket.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: New Tube Bracket Design

Postby andrewblanejr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:17 am

awesome!!!
andrewblanejr

Postby lovebugjunkie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:27 am

Does the HDPE offer any resistance on the threads to counter vibration? Have not started a build yet so not sure if that is something to take into account.
lovebugjunkie

Vibration

Postby bdring » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:05 pm

The HDPE threads were very good against vibration. The threads were so tight, that it was quite hard to turn the screws. The depth of a the socket head on the nylon screw seemed less than a normal socket head screw so you had to be careful not to strip the head. I did put a little silicon lube on the threads which helped. My two concerns were the extra fabrication steps and the lack of good feedback on the pressure against the tube.

The initial photo did not show the complete design. Here is a snapshot of the drawing. There is a lock nut that is used to fight vibration. There is very little vibration that reaches the tube anyway. The soft plastic bracket itself attenuates a lot of it.

tube_brkt.jpg

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/g ... ber=B30044
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby lovebugjunkie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks, I was thinking more of the screws backing out due to vibration but you had already thought of that. Great update.
lovebugjunkie

Postby bill griggs » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:22 pm

lovebugjunkie wrote:Thanks, I was thinking more of the screws backing out due to vibration but you had already thought of that. Great update.

Substituting a nylon bolt might serve two purposes: 1. Plastic against glass is probably more forgiving and 2. Anti-vibration protection (won't back out).

Bill
bill griggs

Postby bdring » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:33 pm

It is a nylon bolt, but it does free run through the steel nut.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Return to 2.x Laser Support