MakerSlide project proposals

General questions and comments.

MakerSlide project proposals

Postby daniel_reetz » Tue May 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Congrats on Makerslide- I've been a big fan of your laser cutter work ever since I won mine. I backed you at the $128 level on Kickstarter and I can hardly wait to build some projects with MakerSlide.

I run DIY Book Scanner, a community of over 1000 people who build book scanning equipment, and one of the first things I am going to do is prototype a few book scanners with this stuff. In fact, I may be able to purchase fairly large quantities of it for an upcoming project. In book scanning hardware, there is a need for slides almost exactly like in CNC. Affordable stuff like this will go a long way and help us tremendously with building full-auto equipment. In particular, we are looking to take the knowledge we've gained from hundreds of book scanner designs and consolidate it into a few "standard" models. Replacing the crappy drawer slides most people use would go a long way toward that goal.

So that's one proposal. My second proposal is to build a single-camera version of my computational camera array. I've actually built some prototypes using the usual eBay slides, but I'd much rather use something open source. The idea here is instead of using 12 or 32 cameras, I can use one high speed camera and just shoot it down the rail. Then I can do fun tricks like computational refocusing, 3D capture, etc.

My final proposal involves digitizing very large things, but I dont' want to reveal everything right up front, even though it will ALL be open source, like all my other projects.
daniel_reetz

Re: MakerSlide project proposals

Postby bdring » Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Ok, you are the guy that stole my laser. :D I placed high in the contest too....look up bdring. Joking aside, you crushed everyone in that contest.

Anyway loosing is what started buildlog.net. I thought the taxes on that laser would be higher than building my own, and that got me started.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: MakerSlide project proposals

Postby daniel_reetz » Tue May 10, 2011 11:58 pm

That's right! You had the Steampunk Segway, right? It was a great project, very funny and awesome. I was worried about it! But your laser work is much more impressive, IMO. :)

So two great projects came out of that contest... diybookscanner and buildlog.net. That's awesome. And we're both taking on what used to be $10k, inaccessible, commercial hardware and making it accessible and capable. Cheers to that.

Seriously, I may be able to order large (commercial) quantities of your rail for an upcoming project (can we communicate off-board on that?), and I'd be happy to help promote wherever possible. I've already put up a post about your project as well as backed you.
daniel_reetz

Return to MakerSlide General Discussion