Saws

General questions and comments.

Saws

Postby bdring » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:45 pm

I am going to need a clean and accurate saw to cut all this MakerSlide material. I have been using a cold saw at work. I thought this was the ultimate device for cutting what I need. It spins quite slow at like 20RPM and has a built in water based flood cooling system. It does a decent job, but does leave a bit of a burr and the coolant needs to be cleaned off.

275M-large.jpg
Cold Saw

I read online about dry cut saws. These basically use a special carbide blade in a chop type saw. The consensus seemed to be that the Evolution Rage 2 was the best and it is actually one of the cheaper ones. It uses a special 14" blade made for cutting metal. The speed is geared down to about half of what a typical blade would spin at. I decided to chance it and bought one.

The thing works great. It cuts like butter, way faster than the cold saw. The part comes out with virtually no burr. The chips shoot into a little tray, so it is clean and there is no flood lubricant all over the place. The base is cast rather stamped so it is solid.

rage2.jpg
Dry cut Saw

Here is an untouched piece after cutting.

rage_cut.JPG
cut sample
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Saws

Postby BenJackson » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:40 am

Hm, all you need now is a cutlist optimizer, a stock feeder and a CNC endstop and you're ready to take on Misumi and 80/20!
BenJackson

Rage 2 Blade

Postby bdring » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:44 am

Here is a close up of the Rage 2 blade. It appears to have something in front of the teeth to prevent over feeding, but still allows decent chip removal. The profile of the teeth are supposed to be special for metal cutting.

rage2blade.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to MakerSlide General Discussion