DSLR Camera Slider

General questions and comments.

Re: DSLR Camera Slider

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Mechanical issue. Check that your v-wheels don't have some dirt in them, and that the bearings are not wobbling on the shafts.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby jpmurph » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:48 pm

TLHarrell wrote:Mechanical issue. Check that your v-wheels don't have some dirt in them, and that the bearings are not wobbling on the shafts.

I disassembled, cleaned and checked all v-wheel no sign of flat spots or dirt. However, I did find that one v-wheel had some motion in it when I held both bearings firmly b/w thumb and then wiggled the v-wheel it would move up and down slightly. It seems that the washer between the two bearing was not sitting flush or was warped. I replaced the washer and reassembled.

bdring wrote: Try to get the setup as balanced as possible with respect to the center of the tripod mount so there is no initial torque on the setup.

I've attempted to get the setup as balanced as possible, as well as, securing the extrusion to a a flat solid surface(kitchen table). Both had some beneficial results but a slight wobble is still evident in the playback of the time-lapse.

still working on troubleshooting the issue.
jpmurph

Postby jpmurph » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:37 pm

so I think I have a bad v-wheel or bearing. See the video below to see the play in the v-wheel bearing assembly.
jpmurph

Postby bdring » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:56 pm

I have received about 6 lots of those wheels. I have never seen that before. It should be a press fit into the bearing and there should be no end play. I have used hundreds of them without seeing that. I will spot check a whole bunch of my stock again. I can send some replacement wheels.

I hope it is just a problem on that wheel.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby jpmurph » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:11 pm

It's only doing this on 1 of the 4 v-wheels. The others all fit perfect. I'll work on getting a replacement and see if that fixes the wobble in the timelapse.
jpmurph

Postby pcmofo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:43 pm

I have not yet been able to get the code up and running on my arduino with your motor controller shield. The motor driver just heats up when I plug it in. I can issue commands via serial but nothing ever happens. I double checked my connections etc. Either I am doing something else wrong or I have already burnt out the motor controller and its a lost cause.

Any ideas on something to try next?

Also, I would love to have some feet for desktop use. This would be very handy, especially if they folded etc.

My plan was to get the slider working with arduino + pc, then arduino alone, and then finally a custom PCB in an enclosure with nice buttons connectors etc for actual field use as a complete system.

I was thinking more like the kesseler style of control, not like many of the over complicated dslr controllers etc. Just speed and direction. Maybe add limit switches for unattended timelapse use. I have a timelapse controller for my DSLR. I think I would like to keep those independent for now as it offeres less complexity and more flexibility.

Ebay has a number of 12v battery packs that are perfect for this application. Throw that together with an arduino, motor controller, toggle switch, and rotary encoder and you have a nice and easy automated slider.

If you had some compact feet and a better tripod connection I bet everything could fit into a tripod bag for portability.

Here is a slider made from 8020 that has a nice tripod mounting plate, simple end stops, and decent feet.
http://www.indisystem.com/products/indi ... Dlegs.html
pcmofo

Postby bdring » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:29 am

How hot does the motor driver get. Does the motor lockup when it is on?
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby pcmofo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:21 pm

bdring wrote:How hot does the motor driver get. Does the motor lockup when it is on?

I have yet to see a reaction from the motor at all. The driver is hot to the touch on the heat sink. Like, I dont want to touch it hot.
pcmofo

Postby pcmofo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:19 pm

Any ideas on something to try?
pcmofo

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Post a closeup picture of the driver that also shows the motors wire connected.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to MakerSlide General Discussion