1.75mm or 3mm filament and nozzle size?

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: 1.75mm or 3mm filament and nozzle size?

Postby IPvFletch » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:35 am

butterfingers wrote:Interesting that the Budaschnozzle uses a copper element, presumably to keep the filament feed cool and prevent pre-melt problems. Give that the ORD Bot uses an aluminium carriage, is there no way to use the carriage itself as a heat sink?

Yes, if you read about the latest revision to the Budaschnozzle, that is what it says, you're right.

I totally dig the idea of using the carriage as a heatsink!! :D
IPvFletch

Postby WhiteB0rd » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:34 am

As I posted earlier, extruders are rapidly evolving....

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18379

Looks even better....

WB
WhiteB0rd

Re: with wade attachment

Postby mxk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:25 am

Gijs wrote: I am not sure if this is a workable solution, since the motor is quite fare from the makerslide.

Does it fit any better if you lowered the extruder down to sit directly on the the horizontal part of the carriage, possibly by widening the opening on the carriage for the hot end?

From my experience, the motor is quite secure in the extruder, and shouldn't be a problem extending away from the carriage. My original Wades extruder had the motor hanging way off from the X axis on my Mendel, the Greg's is much more compact.
mxk

Postby Gijs » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:33 am

what I particularly dislike about this setup (apart from the clunky ugly looks of it) is that the more weight is extending from the carriage, the more side-pressure there will be on the carriage wheels. I'd rather have the motor-weight center aligned with the wheels.

of course the whole hotend can also be placed underneath the carriage, but that means loosing quite a bit of z-height
Gijs

Postby WhiteB0rd » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:26 pm

Hey Bart:

We all know you're busy packing our schtuff for shipment..... 8-)

But, you said somewhere that you had printed a Wades extruder and that it was compatible with the standard carriage/mount. Have you actually mated it up to a hot end and mounted it to the ORDbot?

Trying to sort out extruder/hot end combos, and the wade's / budaschnozzle combo looks pretty good, IF the mount and clearance issues work out.

WB
WhiteB0rd

Previous

Return to ORD Bot