ORD Bot Production Run Status

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORD Bot Production Run Status

Postby Halfdead » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 pm

IPvFletch wrote:Thanks Bart. If you could document which tools you have in the clean room (or better, which you used) that would be very helpful. Is anyone else planning to do a full assembly/writeup on the kit, or is that on you? :)

The tools list would be great, I'll likely order anything on the list if I don't already have it.
Halfdead

Postby Zat German » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:57 pm

IPvFletch wrote: Is anyone else planning to do a full assembly/writeup on the kit, or is that on you? :)

The wiki has some assembly info up already. It looks like it is going to be a really easy build. I am expecting the wiring to probably take up most of my time(I want mine to be super clean).
Zat German

Postby JeremyBP » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:12 pm

My assembly instructions from my build are on the wiki. If you have any questions, let me know.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Clean Room Build

Postby bdring » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:50 am

It is going pretty well so far. No missing parts yet. I am taking a lot of pictures and writing instructions.

I am taking the opposite approach with the tools. There are no tools in the "clean room". I get only the tools that I need as I build. once in the room. They do not leave. That let's me find out the minimum number of tools. There are a few optional tools that I really like, like a nut driver for the 5mm hex nuts.

I am really digging the blue anodized finish against the black hardware.

gantry_carriage_01.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby JeremyBP » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:59 am

Yeah, that blue really does look nice.
When you've finished this build, will you take any measurements of flex and rigidity? I would love to see how it compares to the acrylic on mine.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Clean Quantum Complete

Postby bdring » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:55 am

The clean room build of the Quantum is done. The BOM was perfect. The MXL belt length provided has been finalized at 4.5 feet for the Quantum. I did not wire it yet, but that is not part of the kit. I originally tossed in three extra t nuts, but the new angle bracket ate up two of them, so you only get one extra now :cry:

There is no need to build a clean room Hadron as the hardware is identical, I will just build the gantry and Y axis to get a final belt length.

The tool list is a lot simpler than I thought it would be. I wrote my own instructions on a Google Doc. i will merge it with the wiki soon.

1.5mm allen wrench (for M3 set screws)
2mm Allen wrench (for M4 set screws)
2.5mm allen wrench
3mm allen wrench (ball end screw driver style is best)
8mm open end wrench (5/16 inch works just as well)
8mm nut driver (optional) really helps with 5mm hex nuts.(5/16 inch works just as well)
Scissors (to cut belt)
Small Carpenter’s square

The motors just arrived. I am picking up all the extrusions on Monday, so the Quantums should start going out on Monday. :D

DSC00159.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Clean Quantum Complete

Postby IPvFletch » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:54 am

bdring wrote:The clean room build of the Quantum is done. The BOM was perfect.

Great to hear!! :)

bdring wrote:The motors just arrived. I am picking up all the extrusions on Monday, so the Quantums should start going out on Monday. :D

Not the Hadrons too???
IPvFletch

Re: Clean Quantum Complete

Postby Zat German » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:32 am

bdring wrote:There is no need to build a clean room Hadron as the hardware is identical, I will just build the gantry and Y axis to get a final belt length.

What's up with the two different sized pulleys on the Hadron BOM?

Are these:
bdring wrote:More parts.

Nut Blocks(B17055)? If so, what are they made out of? Are we going to have trouble with them being worn away by the lead screws or vice versa like I have seen with the the Mendel's leadscrew nuts?
Zat German

Pulleys

Postby bdring » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:47 pm

What's up with the two different sized pulleys on the Hadron BOM?

Good catch. The pulleys are already packed correctly. That was just a last minute typo when I shuffled the location of the pulleys on the BOM.

Nut Blocks(B17055)? If so, what are they made out of?

The nut blocks are 10mm thick delrin. I have used a similar design nut on a project with a lot high duty cycle and it works OK. What is the Mendel part made from?
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Pulleys

Postby Zat German » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:10 pm

bdring wrote:The nut blocks are 10mm thick delrin. I have used a similar design nut on a project with a lot high duty cycle and it works OK. What is the Mendel part made from?

I think usually people use stainless steel nuts on stainless steel lead screws. Definitely steel nut on stainless steel. They wear each other away. I have seen a video of the nuts having totally failed, just barely clinging to the threads but I can't find it at the moment. I will try to dig it up. The typical solution, like with anti-backlash nuts, is to use brass ones. Delrin is good, at least it is softer than the steel, so it will be the point of failure if it happens.

edit: Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y8GFYylLlM
Zat German

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot