ORD Bot Production Run Status

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Pulleys

Postby mxk » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Zat German wrote:I think usually people use stainless steel nuts on stainless steel lead screws. Definitely steel nut on stainless steel. They wear each other away. I have seen a video of the nuts having totally failed, just barely clinging to the threads but I can't find it at the moment. I will try to dig it up. The typical solution, like with anti-backlash nuts, is to use brass ones. Delrin is good, at least it is softer than the steel, so it will be the point of failure if it happens.

edit: Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y8GFYylLlM

FWIW, I *think* that video from scribblej was of a BZP threaded rod and nut. Zinc plated threaded rod is not good, it does wear as shown, eventually. About two years ago many places offered BZP as a lower cost alternative, but I think most have realized that it was penny-wise and pound-foolish so most now only suggest stainless (or drill rod?). My Sells Mendel has run for about an hour or two every weekday evening and at least 12 hours each weekend day for the last year and a half, and while I do have some black dust accumulating at the bottom of the Z axis rods, there's been no noticeable loss of precision or slippage. I neglected to use silicone lubricant for a long time, I don't think I've seen any further accumulation since I began to use it every other week.
mxk

Re: Pulleys

Postby Zat German » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:53 pm

mxk wrote:FWIW, I *think* that video from scribblej was of a BZP threaded rod and nut. Zinc plated threaded rod is not good, it does wear as shown, eventually. About two years ago many places offered BZP as a lower cost alternative, but I think most have realized that it was penny-wise and pound-foolish so most now only suggest stainless (or drill rod?).

Oh, well that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the info!
Zat German

Re: ORD Bot Production Run Status

Postby Halfdead » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:24 pm

So when do you think the Hadron bots will be shipping?

Also, thanks for the tools list!
Halfdead

Hadron Status

Postby bdring » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:11 pm

I am still waiting on the motors. Apparently they are in customs clearance. They needed my tax id to clear. Hopefully they will be here in a few days. I also do not have the MakerBot MK7 adapters. I hope to have those on Thursday.

I shipped all Quantums that have been fully paid. I sent email to those who have not paid yet.

I took three days off of my regular job to work on these orders. I am trying to get a jump on things by pre-packing as much as I can, but it still takes about 20 minutes per order.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Pazu » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:04 am

Awaiting my Quantum now. Thanks for doing this. :)
Pazu

Postby IPvFletch » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:48 am

Oh I thought I read you said you got the motors, must have been the NEMA14s not the 17s, oh well, hopefully Customs doesn't give you too much trouble!! :shock: Thanks for taking time off for this.. Sometimes I feel like my hobbies interfere with work, too.. :)
IPvFletch

Hadron Motors

Postby bdring » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:27 pm

I just got delivery notification that the Hadron motors have arrived. I also got a bunch of the MK7 adapters today. Hopefully there are no issues and I can start shipping out some tonight. My goal is to ship about 8-10 per day with a couple more per day on the weekend. I will run out of wheels early next week, but more wheels (about 5500 :o ) are due to be shipped on Tuesday.

I will ship from index 1 of the queue down. If your name drops off the queue it means it has shipped. You should also get an email with tracking number from PayPal. As the names come up on the queue that have not completed payment, I will double check the the payment did not get missed and then send an email. I will move to the next paid person in the queue.

I will give a few reminders, but after a week or two after all paid bots have shipped the I will start selling them off on eBay to the highest bidder.

I am actively investigating a second round of machines, but it will be after a couple dozen of these kits are running in the field and comments, feedback and improvements are considered.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mhensen » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 pm

And that's what I call 'GREAT NEWS!!!' .. Thanks for the update..

Now I am getting hyped to start building my new printer and get rid of the one I have now.. Although it's a good one :-)

I guess this will be long days ahead for you !!!
mhensen

Postby LeonS » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Awesome! I think I have most of the other needed pieces ordered and on their way as well.

I can't wait.

Thanks for everything Bart!

Cheers,
Leon
LeonS

Postby Gijs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Bart, it's really impressive how fast you have come from design to taking orders to delivery! And all that while you still have a day job. :shock:

Thanks for the great efforts put into this project :!:
Gijs

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot