Spring wire covers..

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Spring wire covers..

Postby IPvFletch » Wed May 02, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm using the giant Springs that Bart listed, from McMaster-Carr, and I have them cut to the right length and fed the wires in, but I'm having trouble getting the springs to seat inside the aluminum extrusions or plate for the X carriage. I'm not sure what to do other than twist it and hope it begins to thread itself into the extrusion enough that it will be held in place. I got it to work on the Left extrusion (for the X wiring) but can't get it into the X carriage plate itself, and THAT is actually accessible from both sides!! Do I just stick some needle nose pliers in and try to pull it through?

Bart said something about stretching the spring a bit, which made sense when I read it, but now that I'm trying it, I don't see how to stretch the spring esp when working with the extrusions...

I might end up doing what I did for my extruder carriage and just mounting it sideways using some zip ties. It shouldn't look too bad, and should work just as well... It just isn't as purdy.. :ugeek:
IPvFletch

Re: Spring wire covers..

Postby bdring » Wed May 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Twisting/threading it might actually make it harder to install.

There are two ways to temporarily reduce the diameter. The first is stretching it and the second is twisting it. Twisting one way reduces the diameter and twisting the other increases the diameter.

I actually tried to find a tap and spring pitch to match so it could be threaded. I'll bet someone with a lathe could make a tap to match the spring pitch.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Oli » Wed May 02, 2012 9:35 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Oli on Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oli

Postby mxk » Thu May 03, 2012 1:22 am

On the gantry, use forceps or needle nosed pliers to reach thru the hole and grab the spring, then twisting counterclockwise (to compress it) pull hard while also pulling backwards and clockwise on the main body of the spring (to compress it). Curse roundly as the pliers let go, and keep trying. It does work. Once you get one coil thru the gantry hole it holds quite well.

I wish I had thought to do like Oli said on the extrusion, but got frustrated and settled for zip ties. Maybe on my next one.
mxk

Postby IPvFletch » Thu May 03, 2012 2:14 am

mxk wrote:On the gantry, use forceps or needle nosed pliers to reach thru the hole and grab the spring, then twisting counterclockwise (to compress it) pull hard while also pulling backwards and clockwise on the main body of the spring (to compress it). Curse roundly as the pliers let go, and keep trying. It does work. Once you get one coil thru the gantry hole it holds quite well.

I wish I had thought to do like Oli said on the extrusion, but got frustrated and settled for zip ties. Maybe on my next one.

I think I needed more cursing.. or was it more cowbell.. I forget now.. :twisted:

I can probably get the X gantry spring through, but the other end going into the extrusion will be much harder, since there's no through-hole for me to put the forceps through so easily. Also for the heat bed. The extruder spring should be simple enough though.. LOL!! :roll:
IPvFletch

Return to ORD Bot