ORD Bots at Inventables

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

ORD Bots at Inventables

Postby bdring » Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Inventables is now taking pre-orders for ORD Bots.

I'll make sure they get a few tweaks to the design in the parts they buy.

1. The wire pass through holes in the brackets (Z carriages and handle) will get cuts to the edge in a keyhole type cut so the wires are not trapped. This will allow the gantry to be removed, etc.
2. The extruder carriage MakerGear mounting holes will be enlarged for the M4 hardware.
3. Belt will be loops...no cutting and easier assembly.
4. Latest clamp design...and professionally made :)

https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... l-platform
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Alu spacers?

Postby dzach » Thu May 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Would you consider replacing the nylon spacers with aluminum ones? they are a great improvement with regard to regidity.
Also, an option to order without the steppers would be beneficial, since the steppers proved to be the longest lead item in the bot.
dzach

Re: ORD Bots at Inventables

Postby bdring » Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 pm

It is up to Inventables. The part would need to be a custom part, because it is sort of a hybrid, metric/english size. I suppose you could get them made pretty cheap in China.

I had it quoted once before, but I have a few more contacts now. I'll see what it would cost.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby dzach » Thu May 03, 2012 11:10 pm

A lower total value would also reduce the importation fees paid by those outside the US. In some cases, depending on the country, there will be no importation taxes at all; it'll just go through the post office.
dzach

Slots

Postby bdring » Fri May 04, 2012 12:34 am

Here is what I had in mind for the wire pass through on the Z carriages. You pull out the spring, then the wire can slip out the side. I was going to do it on the handle plate too. Do you think it will be as useful there?

PS: I am suggesting they go with the bright dip on the blue parts to make them look better and scuff up less.

sloted_edge.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mxk » Fri May 04, 2012 1:16 am

In my opinion it would be very useful on the handle as well. I think the bright dip is a good idea too, it will also help differentiate us early adopters from the masses who will be following.
mxk

Postby bdring » Fri May 04, 2012 1:22 am

They would be known as the "dips"?
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby IPvFletch » Fri May 04, 2012 2:21 am

A new name might be in order, since they're the a new manufacturer of this, but it looks like they are already using the word Hadron on their site and I suppose since it's basically the same, you might as well keep the name.

Anyways, nobody said it yet, but I think it is REALLY COOL that inventables picked this up. It is good validation that this is a great 3D printer design, and a well designed kit (great work Bart! Thanks!!), so I feel proud knowing that inventables has picked this up and will sell kits as well. Yeah they may have the keyhole cut outs, but hey we could do that too if it were really a big deal, and anyways I'd rather have an original than a copy.. :D :D :D I appreciate my dark blue anodized look more and more every day, and now it will remind me I got the original, before mass production began. Anyways these kits will largely be customized, so even if we have some deficiencies in our kits (e.g. Z motor couplers) we can just build off that. Anyways it will likely be months before this kit becomes "perfected", long after inventables ships their first 100.. so time will tell us how we can further improve these, versus trying to perfect them right out of the gate and just doing trial and error. Mine will be printing soon, and I can't wait, and feel proud knowing I built it myself vs. paying $2000 for makerbot to send me a pre-fab printer... :D

One more thought - you should tell Inventables to direct people to these forums for assistance/calibration/etc... The more the merrier...
IPvFletch

Postby Zat German » Fri May 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Are you doing anything about the extruder carriage as far as making it a little deeper to fit different extruders better? I think having a little more space to mount things would allow more extruders, like those with longer hobbed bolts or taller steppers, to just drop in without extra stuff to fabricate.
Zat German

Postby bdring » Fri May 04, 2012 2:36 pm

I was thinking about that. Do you have a STEP file of a worst case Wades extruder?

BTW: I did add the Azteeg bolt pattern to the electronics plate.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Next

Return to ORD Bot