LAVA mounting hardware?

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

LAVA mounting hardware?

Postby dalewheat » Tue May 29, 2012 2:27 am

What mounting hardware will be required to attach to the Hadron or Quantum ORD Bots? How about springs for that "floaty/no crashy" effect?

I'm putting together an order for McMaster-Carr early this week and have already listed what I think I need to mount all the possible limit switches. I'd like to get everything I need to mount both the ORDuino and both sizes of the heated build platform. Does the LAVA use M3 hardware?

Thanks!

Dale
dalewheat

Re: LAVA mounting hardware?

Postby frob » Tue May 29, 2012 4:13 am

Hi Dale,
good question!

Yes for LAVA its M3 screws you need - length depends on you, if your using springs or not, and how much you want to compress them.
The standoffs are 8mm so you probably want 10mm long screws if your not using springs. i haven't tried it like that as i like the springs,
mostly because i find it makes it easier to adjust the level of the bed. on the other hand, i imagine the screws could more easily loosen that way over time and
require readjustment periodically. it might make sense to use some locktite or add a locknut on the top side of the carriage to prevent that.
Ive been using springs, with 15mm button head screws - I found what i consider the ideal springs, and at a bargain - 50 springs for $2 at the local "dollar" store -
In the form of cheap plastic clothespins that always break anyways(the spring then goes flying).
The springs are about 15mm long, pretty stiff and fit nicely around the outside of the standoffs.
I was actually thinking of raiding the dollar store again tomorrow and including some clothepins in the packing peanuts :-)
Originally i was using only the corner standoffs in the prototype, but i didn't feel that was enough support - but with all 9 in place and screwed down, its not goin anywhere.
To do that you will have to mark and drill out the other 5 holes in the carriage plate.
I haven't done this yet on my Hadron, but i think its a good idea to drill all but the middle hole slightly oversize to accommodate thermal expansion, especially if you plan on running the plate above PLA printing temp. The idea is to use a locknut on the center screw only, if i ever notice there is still some high-speed wobble due to the springs.
I have some wobble now but i suspect its the Z screws, when i get my lead-screws i hope that will disappear.

I wouldn't depend on springs alone as insurance against a crash. i use a plate of glass on top too. i experienced a lot of crashes as i was getting familiar with this machine, and
still do sometimes. straight down might not do much damage, but more often for me its a case printing layer zero with the z axis 'homed' incorrectly and nozzle scraping hard on the hotbed -
Springs dont help you there, in fact they makes it worse.
Once i have the machine really well tuned especially in 'Z', and when there's a more effective E-stop, i might consider removing the glass and printing without it. Its quite heavy, so i'm sure it contributes to the bed wobble and limits Y axis acceleration for top speed record attempts :-)

On the ORDuino, its M2.5 screws. sorry, i didn't have room for M3 screws or standoffs. Ive used 4-40 screws, (could not get M2.5 at the local hardware outlets) they're tight in the holes (they actually thread into the hole plating, so if you try that be extra careful not to strip them)
I used (7) 3/8" long 4-40 screws which was just right for the plain 4-40 nuts. In metric i'm guessing thats about a 10mm long screw you will need.
I find its best to put the screws in from the top side of the board, add a nylon washer, then a nut as a spacer, tighten that gently (on all screws) then place the board and add nuts to secure in place. its not as pretty on the front as seeing screw heads there, but its better for the board- and you could always use nickel plated acorn nuts :-)

dalewheat wrote:What mounting hardware will be required to attach to the Hadron or Quantum ORD Bots? How about springs for that "floaty/no crashy" effect?

I'm putting together an order for McMaster-Carr early this week and have already listed what I think I need to mount all the possible limit switches. I'd like to get everything I need to mount both the ORDuino and both sizes of the heated build platform. Does the LAVA use M3 hardware?

Thanks!

Dale
frob

Postby mxk » Tue May 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Hey Frantz, please do include the clothespins!! I've built up a collection of springs that were the right size but too weak, right diameter but too short, etc. and if you've found the right ones it would save us all a lot of searching. If nothing else we would know what to look for in our local stores.
mxk

Postby frob » Tue May 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Ok will do -
i'm still waiting for my shipping supplies to get here anyway, i guess the monsoon rains today scared off the fedex driver - tomorrow morning i hope-
at this rate they may have to be delivered by canoe.

mxk wrote:Hey Frantz, please do include the clothespins!! I've built up a collection of springs that were the right size but too weak, right diameter but too short, etc. and if you've found the right ones it would save us all a lot of searching. If nothing else we would know what to look for in our local stores.
frob

Return to ORD Bot