Postby automationtech » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:35 pm

We are making Bot Hadron100 kits Now
We will ship them about Sept, 30.
We take pre-order now
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... controller
automationtech

Re: New ORD Bot Kits

Postby SpacedCowboy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Mine turned up yesterday - all the parts were there, and it was packed pretty well, although the box containing the lead screws was crushed on one side, which concerned me a bit. The lead screws look ok though, at first glance.

I went through the inventory, and ended up "missing" the two lead-screw nuts... until I remembered seeing them on the lead-screws already [grin].

Just got to wait for the extruder (a dual qu-bd one) and the controller/heated bed (X3), and I'll be assembling it :) The docs advise attaching the extruder/controller before doing the final assembly so I'll hang on until then - it'll give me time to order in the wires / quick-release connectors / springs etc, and figure out the optimum way to wire everything up. I did have some interference issues on the Makerbot I originally had, so these are going to be twisted pairs of wires, and I'll try and keep the motor-driving wires away from any more-delicate control ones to help avoid crosstalk.

Simon
SpacedCowboy

Postby Enraged » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Even though Bart suggest running all of the wiring through the extrusions, I found it to be a giant pain to do it.If I were going to do it again, I would simply run them in the slots where possible.
Enraged

Postby Liberty4Ever » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:59 am

I halted work on Hadron #1 when I got busy, but my plan was always to run as much of the wiring inside the T slots as possible and not drill any of the aluminum extrusion to run wires inside the larger central cavities. I have black T slot covers to act as wireway covers. Using the T slots would provide lots of isolation if the motor wires can be run separately from the small signal wires like thermistor wiring and end stop wiring, but that seems difficult to do most of the time on the Hadron. I spent over an hour staring at it and thinking about how I'd wire it, and it was a somewhat frustrating puzzle because I wanted THE optimal solution, and I'm going to be forced to settle for "as good as it gets". Engineering is usually the art of compromise. I bought small Igus cable track for the three moving axes. I need to wire Hadron #1 and get it finished. The kit for Hadron #2 is here and the power supply, extruders, controller and heat bed are all inbound.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby Zat German » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Liberty4Ever wrote:I halted work on Hadron #1 when I got busy, but my plan was always to run as much of the wiring inside the T slots as possible and not drill any of the aluminum extrusion to run wires inside the larger central cavities. I have black T slot covers to act as wireway covers. Using the T slots would provide lots of isolation if the motor wires can be run separately from the small signal wires like thermistor wiring and end stop wiring, but that seems difficult to do most of the time on the Hadron.

Why not just use shielded cable for either the limit or motor signal wires?
Zat German

Postby Liberty4Ever » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:50 am

Zat German wrote:Why not just use shielded cable for either the limit or motor signal wires?

I generally prefer to use shielded cable for the signals that tend to emit EMI - the motors in this case - unless the cables are so large they are not readily available shielded. My current nightly project is a gantry CNC machine, and the largest axis has a 60A @ 250 V brushless DC servo motor.

In the case of the ORD bot, I didn't have any shielded cable handy and the shielded cable is a lot stiffer and larger in diameter. Running it inside the center channel of the extrusion and then through stainless spring as flexible conduit as Bart did is a good trick to get some free and flexible shielding. I'm trying the figure out a routing scheme where the motor cables can be shielded in the T slot track (no drilling the extrusions) and then twisted in pairs when run in Igus cable track. Hopefully, that'll keep the EMI to acceptable levels.

I still think 10K thermistors would be much more EMI resistant than the 100K thermistors, and there should be some clever sampling done by the controller to eliminate the EMI noise. The simplest solution would probably be sampling 256 times and averaging them by shifting the accumulated total by eight bits. The temperature is very slowly changing data. There is no reason why the noise couldn't be eliminated by averaging the data.
Liberty4Ever

Postby Zat German » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:04 am

Liberty4Ever wrote:I generally prefer to use shielded cable for the signals that tend to emit EMI - the motors in this case - unless the cables are so large they are not readily available shielded. My current nightly project is a gantry CNC machine, and the largest axis has a 60A @ 250 V brushless DC servo motor.

Sure but that's not even close to the specs on the ORD bot's motors. From everything I've been able to find, 4 conductor, 22AWG shielded comm cable should be fine for the ORD bot motor's current use. Any idea if this is correct? 18AWG is too thick and 20AWG is impossible to find in lengths shorter than 100' which is way too much for what I need.
Zat German

Postby Liberty4Ever » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:49 am

22AWG in a shielded bundle is the smallest I'd consider using for the motor wiring, but it should only be a couple of amps so you'll be fine. Single wires in free air can safely carry much more current than bundles of wires that are not able to cool themselves with natural convection.

I had a strong preference for using the T-slots, and by the time I press in the T-slot cover, there probably isn't enough volume for 4 conductor shielded 22 AWG cable, even if I had any, and the shielding seemed superfluous for the cable runs inside aluminum slots.

There are many ways to wire an ORD Bot. After enough of us try it our own way, the best methods will probably evolve or emerge.
Liberty4Ever

Postby automationtech » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:22 pm

automationtech wrote:We are making Bot Hadron100 kits Now
We will ship them about Sept, 30.
We take pre-order now
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... controller

All parts are in production now
as today, Aug, 12, we sold 7 units.
automationtech