ORDuino VS Azteeg X3

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORDuino VS Azteeg X3

Postby RSWeaverAz » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:33 am

Like many I am waiting for a prepaid Orduino, however i also have a Azteeg X1, that I powered up about 3-4 weeks ago, has a older version of marlin from February 2012 and I went looking for a way to update it, to the latest. I wonder if panucatt will have a link at their site for firmware revisions, as I'd rather have him put together the Firmware to work with ReplicatorG ( or what ever ) instead of all of us spending a lot of time to research and install.

P.S
Sota designs will deliver the Orduino's I am sure .. the Lava Hotbed looks good, and was delivered on time; but I've not powered it up ...
I know Frantz's board design of the Orduino wanted to omit the pololu driver cards, and attach the chips directly,
I'm wondering if he is regretting that. In general he responds to my emails or PM's ...
I asked him about a Spindle for my ShapeOko, and got an answer relatively promptly.

On a Hadron buildlog comment:
My Hadron build is stalled, I've built the Gantry and then wanted to drill the holes for the internal wiring.
Finally found the info on the 2nd page of the top level pdf. I didn't want to use a hand drill so I needed to budget some funds for a drill press (my daughter sold my last one at a yard sale before I moved to Colorado :x ).
Got a nice 5 speed drill press at Harbor Freight, and also a nice stand that I will eventually put the Hadron on for about $ 27
http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-height-heavy-duty-workstation-46725.html

I've already got the parts to mod the tabletop to 24"x24" using a sheet of 2'x4' of 3/4" MDF cut in half.
Which added another $13 with tax from Home depot.
I Launch Rockets, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
RSWeaverAz

Postby naPS » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:21 am

Why not just load the firmware update yourself? It couldn't be easier to do.

Just make sure the configuration settings in the new firmware match the ones in the old firmware and the pins.h match up, and send it on up. It's super simple.
naPS

Postby Randolph » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:42 pm

I can see that it will take several people completing their builds using each of these boards and reporting their results before we can know for sure how they work in real life.
In the meantime, having figured out potentially how long it will actually take me to get my Hadron printing, I also ordered a Makergear M2 (4 weeks estimated delivery).
I must enjoy standing on the very bleeding edge of technology.
The M2 is supposed to come with heated bed designed for the M2 and electronics that are totally integrated in one board; "all-in-one." Here is a link to a photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/makergear/7553660840/
The board looks really nice. It has "Ultimachine.com" printed on it, but I can't find anything else about it.
Randolph

Postby aleith » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:57 pm

RSWeaverAz ,
I have contacted Sota Designs and he has gone silent not responding to emails or PM's here I was delivered a Lava but paid for both. He was whining that he didnt charge enough for the Lava.
Frantz may be a brilliant engineer but he over promises his ability to deliver. the promise is always it will ship tomorrow. Now I get radio silence.

I have lost all faith that he will deliver anything. I dont think we should encourage anyone else to send this guy money. Until he shows up here and explains himself.
I can forgive problems, but not hollow promises and being led on.
aleith

Postby naPS » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:33 pm

If the X3 is of the same quality as the X1, there's no reason not to use it. I've been super impressed with the few X1's I've bought, and they've all worked flawlessly. I did blow one up - but it was my fault, and Roy was cool enough to offer to fix and replace it when I shipped it back to him so he could troubleshoot it.

He also responds super quick to e-mails and is here in the States, if that makes any difference. All in all, a very quality product.
naPS

Postby Digitalmagic » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Randolph wrote:I can see that ...
The board looks really nice. It has "Ultimachine.com" printed on it, but I can't find anything else about it.

I did the same, waiting for my Hadron is boring, so I ordered a M2, too.
Probably Makergear partnered with Ultimachine.com, being open source but not released.
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Postby Medel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Yeah, M2 progress looks good, and the RAMBO board from ultimachine looks pretty solid (and nice and small). I have a makergear prusa, and love it, and they're always active on their IRC channel. That said, they're still having problems shoving M2s out the door fast enough. :/
Medel

Postby Randolph » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:13 pm

I've seen people on other forums buying these from Hong Kong:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0878475943
Perhaps an alternative to get electronics right now. Although I don't know why I'm in a hurry, I don't even have my Hadron mechanicals yet. :-)
Maybe just to look nice on my desk like the MakerGear Plastruder and hotend I have sitting there now.
Randolph

Postby RSWeaverAz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 pm

@naPS »

For Panucatts Azteeg X1 3D Printer Controller:
I was about to do just that, went to github?
Got the latest firmware source, and did a compile but no download.
In effect, I didn't want to overwrite a working copy for something I was unsure about.

I don't know enough about the specific config files for Panucatts Azteeg X1 3D Printer Controller.
My unit is a Rev 1 board and has a Amtel ATmega 644P on it, the newer Rev 1.5 has a Atmel ATmega1284P.

There may be other differences in board construction specifically CPU I/O pin outs for the newer Rev 1.5,
Some links to specific config files for at least the Rev 1 board would be nice, an archive of Hex files Specific to each board would be nicer.
There doesn't seem to be a reference section on compiling the software for the X1 on Panucatt's site,
Doe the board emulate a RAMP's so closely one can use that?

Edit: Me bad there is a link on the bottom of Panucatt's X1 page pointing here http://reprap.org/wiki/Azteeg_X1
There is a software section, It may have the stuff needed to do a full compile ...

On Barts 4 axis Arduino Shield controller:
I was able to get the GRBL code (source and .hex) and load it onto Barts 4 axis stepper Rev2 controller (missed out on getting a Rev3),
I was thinking of using that shield in a ShapeOko. I used Xloader http://russemotto.com/xloader/ and the hex file, no compiles necessary.
But it is early, and only 1 stepper is connected to that Rev2 shield, since GRBL is optimized for Rev3, I may have to do some config file changes.

I just went to the Panucatt web site, many X1's in stock (over 90) but no mention of the X3.
Other than some photo's and info bart posted, is there any info on it?
I Launch Rockets, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
RSWeaverAz

Postby gazob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:24 pm

I bought mine from this guy

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150858143508 ... 1497.l2649

He's a little cheaper than gadgets3d, has heated beds, endstops and the lcd screen also in his shop, he seems to have all levels of build on each of the items, and has very good feedback on both ebay and reprap forums.

I ended up purchasing his ramps ultimate + heated bed + smart lcd controller, and am just unsure whether his mechanical or optical endstops are suitable for a hadron build, if someone could quickly look at these here

mechanical endstops
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-x-Mechanic ... 231f3b3118

optical endstops
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-x-Opto-End ... 231fe2c22d

and let me know which ones will be more suitable or whether the pcb backings on both of these will make fitting difficult, I have some mechanical switches leftover from a previous mame build that I could use, but if the above look good I can add to my order and save 1 lot of shipping

GaZ
gazob

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot