ORDuino VS Azteeg X3

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORDuino VS Azteeg X3

Postby RSWeaverAz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:43 pm

@ gazob »
The original end stops were mechanical switches mounted on the moving parts (gantry/extruder/build plate),
and had little screws sticking out of makerslide T-track slots to trigger the mechanical switches.

The ebay endstop items you pointed to are mounted on little boards, and may be to large to be suitable for mounting on the moving parts,
but could possibly mount to the makerslide somehow and be triggerd by the moving gantry/extruder/build plate.

Or if they are small enough they could be bolted/sticky taped to the gantry/extruder/build plate.
they look to be 1x2" or 1.5x2.5" and might be to large ... no dimensions given and from the pictures its not known if switches are the "micro" version.

They sure look neat
I Launch Rockets, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
RSWeaverAz

Postby royco » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 pm

@RSWeaverAz

I started building up the X3 wiki at reprap.org, It has some more pics and a video of it installed on a Hardon ordbot(by Mhensen) http://reprap.org/wiki/Azteeg_X3

The page for the X3 on my website is not visible yet.

I will be doing a pre-order either this Friday or next Monday with deliveries of around mid-August(+/- a few days) and you will be pleased you held off buying that RAMPS kit from China :o
royco

Postby RSWeaverAz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 am

@ royco »
I do occasionally get stuff from china, but usually have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to arrive.
I don't think I'd get a CNC axis controller from there ... something about being halfway around the world and in a different time zone.

I have enough of that dealing with people on the east coast for my work environment,
some people at the cape go to work at 7AM (or earlier) so sometimes i'm up at 4:30 AM to support a launch.

I have 2 controllers ... sort of, the Bart 4 Axis Arduino shield (Rev2) that I was thinking of using on my ShapeOko
and of course the Azteeg X1, which I was going to use on the Hadron. I also ordered a Orduino :roll:

If i don't hear from Frantz/SotaDesign soon I may buy one of your X3' s for the Hadron and use the X1 on the ShapeOko

BTW, is 500 ma on the boost converter enough to drive 3 steppers, or is it for something else.

I have the parts to build a much bigger ShapeOko so I will eventually need a 3'rd controller.
Barts 4 Axis shield may become redundant (no endstop support) ... maybee use it on a camera slider ...
RSWeaverAz

Postby gazob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:55 am

RSWeaverAz wrote:@ gazob »
The original end stops were mechanical switches mounted on the moving parts (gantry/extruder/build plate),
and had little screws sticking out of makerslide T-track slots to trigger the mechanical switches.

The ebay endstop items you pointed to are mounted on little boards, and may be to large to be suitable for mounting on the moving parts,
but could possibly mount to the makerslide somehow and be triggerd by the moving gantry/extruder/build plate.

Or if they are small enough they could be bolted/sticky taped to the gantry/extruder/build plate.
they look to be 1x2" or 1.5x2.5" and might be to large ... no dimensions given and from the pictures its not known if switches are the "micro" version.

They sure look neat

Thanks for the reply, I think ill just leave it off the order, and use what I have or even scavenge a few case open switches from old pc's, at the end of the day if I find I need them, its only an additional $11 postage down the track.

GaZ
gazob

Postby Medel » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Randolph wrote:I can see that it will take several people completing their builds using each of these boards and reporting their results before we can know for sure how they work in real life.
In the meantime, having figured out potentially how long it will actually take me to get my Hadron printing, I also ordered a Makergear M2 (4 weeks estimated delivery).
I must enjoy standing on the very bleeding edge of technology.
The M2 is supposed to come with heated bed designed for the M2 and electronics that are totally integrated in one board; "all-in-one." Here is a link to a photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/makergear/7553660840/
The board looks really nice. It has "Ultimachine.com" printed on it, but I can't find anything else about it.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Rambo

There's a wiki page up on the board now.
Medel

Postby RSWeaverAz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Me likes the M2, small, and feature packed ... any idea of the cost?

I'd be concerned about the stepper driver chips not being on carriers,
thats an easy replacement (compared with sending the board back).

Maybe we should set up a "poll" on individuals experience with various driver chips, with respect to them blowing up.
Does that happen to say 1 out of 100 users ( 100 users have 300 to 400 driver chips in the wild :o )
or is it much higher ...
Does it happen much after initial setup (initial wiring errors, etc),
or are the chips failing due to improper heat sinking/lack of active cooling.
RSWeaverAz

Postby Randolph » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:03 am

RSWeaverAz wrote:Me likes the M2, small, and feature packed ... any idea of the cost?

I paid $1348 including shipping for the M2.

RSWeaverAz wrote:I'd be concerned about the stepper driver chips not being on carriers,
thats an easy replacement (compared with sending the board back).

I also ordered a complete Arduino/RAMPS 1.4 setup from another source; so I have a back up plan for the M2.

I'm still not sure what I am using on the Hadron; possibly the Azteeg X3 if they start taking orders soon enough.
Or, possibly the ORDunio. OMG! How do I decide?
:?
Randolph

Postby Nick Brawne » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:05 pm

royco wrote:@RSWeaverAz

I started building up the X3 wiki at reprap.org, It has some more pics and a video of it installed on a Hardon ordbot(by Mhensen) http://reprap.org/wiki/Azteeg_X3

The page for the X3 on my website is not visible yet.

I will be doing a pre-order either this Friday or next Monday with deliveries of around mid-August(+/- a few days) and you will be pleased you held off buying that RAMPS kit from China :o

Any update on when those pre-orders are going to start?
Nick Brawne

Postby royco » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Nick Brawne wrote:
Any update on when those pre-orders are going to start?

Tomorrow. I should finish the order page by tonight. Will post the link when its up.

Thanks.
royco

Postby Nick Brawne » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:39 am

royco wrote:
Tomorrow. I should finish the order page by tonight. Will post the link when its up.

Thanks.

Looks like its now up. http://www.panucatt.com/Azteeg_X3_reprap_3d_printer_controller_p/ax33dp.htm
I just ordered a controller with heated bed and all the options.
Nick Brawne

Previous

Return to ORD Bot