Dibloff's Build Log

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Dibloff's Build Log

Postby dibloff » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:56 am

It's not over yet :) The build/setup is still ON.
I designed a cover for the power supply. This would be the second thing I build. She runs perfectly! Except one small glitch. She is printing a mirror image... Not a biggie usually, but this cover is not symmetric. Here is how the cover looks in the design software. Wireframe. top view:
Modeler_Top_View.jpg

And here is how it looks in the slic3r. top view. bottom layer:
Slicer_Top_View.jpg

And here is what I see on the build tray:
Build_Top_View.jpg

I suspect I need to tweak something in the marlin arduino/marlin setup. Any suggestions please?
Thank you.
dibloff

Postby orcinus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:26 am

Check your axis directions in Marlin's Configuration.h. If you've stuck with the reference wiring for the steppers, it should be looking something like this:

#define INVERT_X_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true

If you haven't, experiment with those settings until:
- the bed moves away from you for - (negative) movements and towards you for + (positive) movements,
- carriage moves left for - and right for + movements, and
- gantry moves down for - and up for + movements.

In other words, the origin (0,0,0) has to be in the front left bottom corner.
orcinus

Postby Turbo442 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:45 pm

I made this video today of the homing sequence, see if this helps at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53iErIKq4IE&feature=plcp
Turbo442

Postby dibloff » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:04 am

Orcinus. Thanks for the advise. The origin on my Hadron is right where you said. At the front bottom left corner. The axis movements are right too.
Turbo422. My Hadron homes exactly like yours. Thank you for the video. I really appreciate it.
I still prints a mirror image relative to YZ plane.
I'm wondering if I use a different G-code flavor in Slic3r will it change anything? I'm using RepRap right now. Slic3R version is: 0.7.1
dibloff

Postby dibloff » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Printing some parts for the filament spool mounting. The printer stopped twice into the build. I restarted each time. Pronterface says cannot communicate to the controller.
dibloff

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 am

These are all suggestions that may or may not help: get a shorter and/or better shielded USB cable. Plug your computer and your 3D printer into the same power strip. Make sure it's grounded/earthed. It may also help to run an additional thick wire between the GND of your printer and the case of your computer (or it may make things worse). Avoid turning on and off noisy loads (electric motors, fluorescent lights) during your print (my local hackspace has a band saw that reliably kills the communication between my laptop and the Arduino, every time someone turns it off).
cvoinescu

Postby dibloff » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:25 am

Cvoinescu. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try these out.
dibloff

Postby dibloff » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:17 am

Here is some update on the Hadron. It still prints symmetrically to the Y-Z plane. I’ve tried everything I could. Literally. For the time being I just have to live with it. I actually made a mirror image for the PS cover and printed that. It came out nice.
In the last few days I’ve been working on the Spool mount. I designed the hub, the nut and the bracket (see below in the same order). I’ve had the 6 mm shaft and the bushings (orange piece pressed into the hub) lying around from an old HP printer, and I incorporated them into the design. Here is a picture of the parts:
2012_1203_Hadron 002.JPG

The hub has 5 helical ribs on which the spool sits. Besides saving material (if it would have been solid cylinder) these add stiffness. I’m pretty sure in the future when I’ll order filament it’ll be on a different spool, but for the time being I’ll try to use the same supplier. The end of the hub has 3 bayonet style grooves. The nut has 3 prongs which interlock with them
2012_1203_Hadron 004.JPG

The nut also has 9 flexible prongs, so it’ll lock the spool in position while preloading it. This picture shows the shaft inserted:
2012_1203_Hadron 003.JPG

Here is the spool mounted on the Hadron BOT. With the PS mounted in the front, the machine balances nicley on the handle.
2012_1203_Hadron 006.JPG

And here is a picture of the mounting with the spool removed
2012_1203_Hadron 008.JPG

Let me know if anyone needs the stl files.
dibloff

Postby kbob » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 am

What CAD software did you use to design those parts? They have complex profiles.
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

Postby fma » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:24 am

Very nice parts!
Frédéric
fma

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot