Sota LAVA heated bed - Thermistor help!

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Sota LAVA heated bed - Thermistor help!

Postby Q*bert » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:24 am

If you are using the RAMPS 1.4 controller sold with the ATI kit, download the Marlin firmware from their website. You don't need to change anything in pins.h if you use the default connections of D8 for bed power and T1 for bed thermistor.

Don't forget to edit the line #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 4 in configuration.h.
Q*bert

Postby keos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:25 am

Q*bert; thankx
everything is working. Yeah!!!!

1. Do you know when are the LED's of the bed suppose to turn on.

2. On pronterface when i turn the heatbed on it does not warm up do you know if this step takes a while.......
I set the configuration in Slic3r to the following because this is the material i will use.....
ABS (bed @ 110 C, and heater @ 230 C) does this have anything to do with the heatbed not warming up in pronterface

3. The endstops, are they configured on the (ATI) marlin configuration.h

Thankx
Keos
keos

Postby keos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:49 am

Heater turns on it is set at 230 C but in pronterface it shows 265.6 C
Heated bed does not turn on

could it be that the thermistor is connected the wrong way on T1 (T1 has two pins which one is positive and wich is negative, i have red and black cables)

I know i am all over the place......

when the G-code is added to slic3r does the configuration need to be loaded (like File/Load config) so pronterface knows what it is up..

thankx
keos
keos

Postby Q*bert » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:33 pm

keos wrote:Q*bert; thankx
everything is working. Yeah!!!!

1. Do you know when are the LED's of the bed suppose to turn on.

2. On pronterface when i turn the heatbed on it does not warm up do you know if this step takes a while.......
I set the configuration in Slic3r to the following because this is the material i will use.....
ABS (bed @ 110 C, and heater @ 230 C) does this have anything to do with the heatbed not warming up in pronterface

3. The endstops, are they configured on the (ATI) marlin configuration.h

Thankx
Keos

1. The four blue LED lights on the front of the turn on when the bed is actively heating.
2. In pronterface you select the bed temperature in the pull down box and then press the "Set" button to the right of the pull down. The bed lights should come on and the bed will heat up. You should be able to feel the heat almost immediately. Just stick with pronterface until you know everything is working.
3. If you are using mechanical end stops (switches) then they are already configured in Marlin's configuration.h file. Plug them into the RAMPS headers marked "X-", "Y-" and "Z-". The black wire (negative) must be on the bottom pin closest to the "X-" label.
Q*bert

Postby Q*bert » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:39 pm

keos wrote:Heater turns on it is set at 230 C but in pronterface it shows 265.6 C
Heated bed does not turn on

could it be that the thermistor is connected the wrong way on T1 (T1 has two pins which one is positive and wich is negative, i have red and black cables)

I know i am all over the place......

when the G-code is added to slic3r does the configuration need to be loaded (like File/Load config) so pronterface knows what it is up..

thankx
keos

As to the extruder heater, make sure you have selected the right thermistor table for your extruder. If your heater thermistor is connected to T0 then you need to edit the line "#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 X" where X would be the thermistor type your extruder uses.

As to the heater bed, it doesn't matter which way you hook the thermistor up to T1 as it is non-polarized. See my last post above for more bed troubleshooting info.
Q*bert

Postby keos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Point 1. The four blue LED lights on the front of the turn on when the bed is actively heating.
Point 2. In pronterface you select the bed temperature in the pull down box and then press the "Set" button to the right of the pull down. The bed lights should come on and the bed will heat up. You should be able to feel the heat almost immediately. Just stick with pronterface until you know everything is working.

Q*bert
Point 1 the blue LED lights do not turn on.
Point 2 this is what i am doing and nothing happens

Thankx
keos
keos

Postby keos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:56 pm

for the extruder thermistor;
As to the extruder heater, make sure you have selected the right thermistor table for your extruder. If your heater thermistor is connected to T0 then you need to edit the line "#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 X" where X would be the thermistor type your extruder uses.

so this is the thermistor type for the extruder i am using (100k Glass Bead NTC Thermistor with 1% Tolerance) with this said is this what i need to do

"#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 100k Glass Bead NTC Thermistor with 1% Tolerance

once again please cope with me i am new on this...
thankx
keos
keos

Postby Q*bert » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:02 pm

keos wrote:Q*bert
Point 1 the blue LED lights do not turn on.
Point 2 this is what i am doing and nothing happens

Make sure that your power connections from the bed to the RAMPS module are the right polarity: + on bed to + on D8, and - on bed to - on D8.

Also make sure that you have the RAMPS board selected in configuration.h.
Look for lines as follows:
#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
#define MOTHERBOARD 33
#endif
Make sure it has 33 there for a RAMPS 1.4 board.
Q*bert

Postby Q*bert » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:09 pm

keos wrote:so this is the thermistor type for the extruder i am using (100k Glass Bead NTC Thermistor with 1% Tolerance) with this said is this what i need to do

"#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 100k Glass Bead NTC Thermistor with 1% Tolerance

once again please cope with me i am new on this...

Well, I'm new at this too and maybe just a step or two ahead of you, so don't feel bad!

If you are using the thermistor integrated into the Sota LAVA heated bed (orange sheath with 2 tiny wires inside) it is a 10k thermistor.

Define it like this:
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 4

TEMP_SENSOR_0 and TEMP_SENSOR_2 are used for the extruder thermistor(s) and you need to set them accordingly.

The table right above these settings in configuration.h shows the values you use for these defines (4 is a 10k thermistor).
Q*bert

Postby keos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Q*bert wrote

If you are using the thermistor integrated into the Sota LAVA heated bed (orange sheath with 2 tiny wires inside) it is a 10k thermistor.

Define it like this:
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 4

TEMP_SENSOR_0 and TEMP_SENSOR_2 are used for the extruder thermistor(s) and you need to set them accordingly.

The table right above these settings in configuration.h shows the values you use for these defines (4 is a 10k thermistor).

So if i define this line to read like this ( #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 0) then my extruder will not work correct
keos

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot