New Z Parts

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

New Z Parts

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 pm

I prototyped a variation of the Z wobble fix that many people have made and it worked out quit well. This is cut from HDPE. I used machined HDPE because it only takes about 1 minute per on my router. The HDPE on Delrin is super smooth so that helps. I really like the soft head-crash feature it adds as well.

I have a couple hundred nuts on order and I will sell these as an upgrade. I will sell them at very low cost (with free shipping) because this was a community designed upgrade. The BOM and drawings have been updated with this part (B17060). They will come with the nuts installed . There is a right and left hand in the kit. You just need to pop out the nuts in your existing piece. do it slowly and carefully so you don't crack it. The kits will go on sale early next week.

The BOM also now has a new nut-less Z block for future builders.

Here is a picture. This one is actually a reject because it broke lose and the tip got wacked by the bit.

DSC00370.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: New Z Parts

Postby madmike8 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 am

Sign me up for a set. I'm building mine from parts... So I was wondering if you have a spare set of original nuts to go with it, or able to print something that could work?

Thanks

Mike
madmike8

Postby bdring » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:20 am

I'll list the nuts too, but I need to get past ORD Camp this week end.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Zat German » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:36 am

bdring wrote:You just need to pop out the nuts in your existing piece. do it slowly and carefully so you don't crack it. The kits will go on sale early next week.

I have an original production run Hadron. When I install this, I need to ream out the threads in my Delrin nutblocks to make the Z lift blocks, correct?
Zat German

Postby bdring » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:00 am

Drill threaded delrin parts to about 9.5mm in diameter. Break the edge a little if there are any burrs. on the bottom side so the surface is smooth.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby flurin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Zat German wrote :

I have an original production run Hadron. When I install this, I need to ream out the threads in my Delrin nutblocks to make the Z lift blocks, correct?

As an alternative - in case the original part would be reused in the future - you can try the Z-AxisBlockV2:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42260
flurin

Postby Zat German » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm

flurin wrote:As an alternative - in case the original part would be reused in the future - you can try the Z-AxisBlockV2:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42260

I liked all your parts on Thingiverse yesterday. :) Ever since I took my original solid couplers off and tried to switch to flex couplers(which was the current fix at the time), I've had horrible wobble and just stopped messing with the machine for a few months. Now I'm catching up to the latest stuff. If I'm going to take down the whole axis and rebuild it, I might as well switch to the metal nuts version. My Delrin nuts are pretty loose already.
Zat German

Postby flurin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:56 pm

@Zat German

Thank you for your feedback on Thingiverse.
I didn't try the metal nuts version yet but probably a bronze nut will be the best combined with the stainless steel threaded rod.
flurin

Postby RSWeaverAz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:11 pm

The ORD Bot Z Stabilizer Kit Parts are now listed in the store:

International
http://store.makerslide.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=92

Local/USA
http://store.makerslide.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=93

Don't know how many Bart started with, but there are ~17 sets left.

Edit:
There are 2 listings for this (one is for International), don't make same mistake I did, and click on the international (I'm in USA) :cry:

There's also a new topic: http://buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1856
But I missed it as I'm subscribed & notified about this one. :oops:
I Launch Rockets, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
RSWeaverAz

Postby kongorilla » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:36 pm

bdring wrote:They will come with the nuts installed .

OK, since I've received my kit and the nuts weren't installed, I'm going to need some instructions, or, in my ignorance, I'm liable to do some damage using my usual "HULK SMASH" installation technique. Unless brute force is all that's called for, that is.
kongorilla

Next

Return to ORD Bot