Ord bot extruder setup

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Ord bot extruder setup

Postby gyrogearloose » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:28 pm

SystemsGuy wrote:If I model this, all I see is a marginally different force vector against the gear? I must be missing something obvious, as the model shows the same load against the motor shaft, just a slightly different force vector.

Anywho, can't wait the see the actual model and play with it.

gyrogearloose wrote:BTW, I call it the "Filament Thruster".

Did you do a dynamic simulation with the filament being pulled through or just static pressure?
gyrogearloose

Postby SystemsGuy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:25 pm

I used a pretty simple model - been a busy day - basic three vector simulation, with some WAG on the vectored direction imparted by the hobbed bolt and the amount of force transferred by the filament to the rolling opposition bearing.

Compressibility of the filament was again a WAG - I didn't have a piece of 3mm PLA lying around! :p

I'm not sure I understand your question of static vs dynamic? Are you thinking the speed of the filament is going to impact the forces?
SystemsGuy

Postby kbob » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:37 pm

The only way I can see that the filament can transmit force to the lever arm other than along the normal vector is if the roller is not turning freely. gyro, did you add some kind of resistance to the roller's bearing?
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

Postby blah_59 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Gyro,

Can you post your stl brother? I'm finally replacing the hot end of my QU-BD with a J-Head (leaving the motor and fan as the only original parts left). I made a raised mount based off of Roberlin's (posted here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:57814 ) but I don't know if it works yet (the J-Head is supposed to be delivered today) and I'll be damned if your design doesn't look pretty cool. :)
blah_59

Postby brnrd » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:20 am

I have a NEMA 17 gearless direct drive extruder for 3 mm feed in Thingiverse that works quite well with the j-head and budaschnozzle. It can extrude fast (up to at least 160 mm/min of 3 mm ABS). I have also raised it on the Hadron carriage so that I'm able to get around 192 mm of print height with the J-Head Mk-V. I've redesigned it for better air cooling but I thought I can improve it further before updating it.
brnrd

Postby Looper » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:04 pm

blah_59 wrote:Gyro,
Can you post your stl brother? I'm finally replacing the hot end of my QU-BD with a J-Head (leaving the motor and fan as the only original parts left). I made a raised mount based off of Roberlin's (posted here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:57814 ) but I don't know if it works yet (the J-Head is supposed to be delivered today) and I'll be damned if your design doesn't look pretty cool. :)

I just got done printing and testing a fixture for the J-Head and parts from an QU-BD setup. I use Barts lever for the pinch feed and raise the extruder so the J-Head does not take away from the z height.

I'm out right now but when I get back I'll post up the files.

**Edit
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:59855
Looper

Postby Enraged » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:33 am

you know whats funny? I just started modeling something similar this morning. You saved me the trouble of finalizing all the details! Thanks.

As the say, great minds think alike (and fools seldom differ).
Enraged

Postby blah_59 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:53 am

I just got my J-Head in and wanted to get it going so I printed Roberlin's mount to get me started (I had to print it with my existing QU-BD which is a pain and it was the smallest mount so it won). Now that I'm printing with the J-Head, it is a night and day change from printing before. I click print and my printer prints, it's a very weird experience. :D

I have tried small, intricate prints with no jams. I still need to try something bigger that takes a while to print (I think Looper's or Brnrd's mounts look like good candidates :) )
blah_59

Postby satgod » Wed May 15, 2013 3:02 am

Honestly my qu-bd extruder/hotend gave me no issues till I changed filaments and then it was all down hill
there are several things that need to be done with the qu-bd first and probably one of the biggest is they use a stainless steel mounting plate
change this to an aluminum plate and 80% of your troubles are gone (it transfers heat better) instead of holding it

Second someone did a barrel mod and this is the final part of the fix but inserting ptfe tubing into the barrel limits you to about 245-255c for temp

I did goto a j-head mount, and I tested the MK v-b, a ceramic counter part and finally the metalmagma (trinity labs and jollygrimreaper co-op design)

they all work great but a few things to note:
the Mk v-b is available at hotends.com he is apparently the designer and comes with heat resistor and thermistor, with shipping it was about 70.00

the ceramic is better over the MK v-b because the body is ceramic and not made from peek, it cant be harmed by hi-temps like peek can
Ceramic also handles getting rid of the heat faster, if you get the 1.75mm version it does have a piece of ptfe tubing in it which will again limit your temp
to around 245-255c before the ptfe starts to melt. Its 50.00 with shipping I paid about 56.00 and it arrived in 3 days from the netherlands I believe, it comes
with the thermistor and a heat cartride. You can find them here
http://www.2engineers.com/shop/

Now for the Crim-della-crim of hotends, I kid you know if your not using one you should be
there is a 3mm and a 1.75mm version
you can get them in all metal or with a ptfe liner in them
the all metal verison can run at extremely high temps, i'm about to start printing with polycarbonate which has a temp of 265-300c
at this time trinity labs only has the all metal 3mm version but dont worry, its the one I got
I put a piece of 3.1mm OD x 2.4mm ID ptfe tubing in mine and it prints 1.75 pla and abs perfect everytime, this does limit my temp
but all I do is remove the ptfe and I can print with 3mm filament at any temp, the cooling on it is crazy efficient, I had to lower my fan
speed to keep the temp where I wanted it.
the 3mm metalmagma is available here: http://trinitylabs.com/products/trinity ... emp-hotend
If you want a all metal 1.75 then dont worry all version of the magma head are available here
http://3d-industries.myshopify.com/collections/hotends

if you have the 3mm version of the metal magma then this is the ptfe I orded for mine to use 1.75mm filament
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321114275718?ss ... 1439.l2649
it arrived in about 3-4 days, I was supprised.
NOTE: this tubing is a direct replacement for the ptfe in the 1.75mm version of the ceramic hotend as well

I run pla and abs on my ord-bot and i'm printing with a feedrate of 175-200% all the time (metalmagma hotend)
with 1.75 and 3mm filaments. This thing is so great I ordered a second and i'm setting up dual extruders on my ord-bot

it truely is trouble free printing

if anyone wants the ceramic 1.75mm hotend I will let it go for 55.00 shipped and I will include a foot of extra ptfe in case you over heat it
satgod

Previous

Return to ORD Bot