K4MG Build Log

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

K4MG Build Log

Postby k4mg » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:35 pm

4-19-2013
This is the end of the build log, not the start, but I am so used to doing web pages that I did the build log on my web page. To see the whole story, go here:
http://www.k4mg.com/Hobbies/CNC/Ord_Bot_Hadron_Build_Log.htm

Printed the calibration cube as my first real print, using wiki parameters. Here is a video of the first print. The QU-BD extruder jammed about 30% thru the first try, and 20% thru the second try. Time I put on Bart's fix kit.

Here is a picture of the first prints. I think the prints look pretty good, click the picture for a full size version. I am showing the bottom of the taller one, and the unfinished top of the short one:
IMG_1491.JPG
Last edited by k4mg on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k4mg

Re: K4MG Build Log

Postby bloomingtonmike » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:33 am

Barry - not saying dont do Barts fix, but the teflon tube mod is the ticket for sure. In fact Rodney and I are wondering if you just have the teflon tubbe and no other mod if the QUBD set pin block and the QUBD gear would work just fine. In other words ONLY use the barrel mod.
bloomingtonmike

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:22 am

If your filament is uniform and perfectly round, I can see how the hot end mod could be enough. But if your filament is even a little bit oval, or not of perfectly uniform thickness, Bart's upgrade becomes very valuable, especially with PLA (ABS, being softer, is more forgiving).
cvoinescu

Postby bloomingtonmike » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:24 am

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15718

Everyone calls it Barts fix. Why is that? Its a copy of a minimalistic mk7 idea above right? from 1/2012?
bloomingtonmike

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:12 am

It's the same general idea, but not the same design. Bart's is simpler. The one you linked to has the piece on which the spring rests extend to both top screws, and the bearing has plastic on either side. You can see Bart's clearly here (the actual thing) and here (a model). The one on Thingiverse wouldn't work unchanged in a QU-BD, because the head of the bolt in the bearing would get in the way of the heatsink.
cvoinescu

Postby bloomingtonmike » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 am

I use the minimalistic MK7. Screw is a flat head. Works fine. I see now the changes in Bart's version.
bloomingtonmike

Postby k4mg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:58 pm

bloomingtonmike wrote:Barry - not saying dont do Barts fix, ....

I had bought Bart's fix before I even got the extruder running, just from the experiences of others.

cvoinescu wrote:If your filament is uniform and perfectly round, ....

I usually use the Jet filament from Amazon, but they were out, so I bought one roll of PLA from another supplier. It is oval in shape, and averages 1.74 in the wider dimension, and all over the place, down to 1.70 in the smaller, so I am glad I have the fix.

I have no idea or recollection of how I got the gear onto my motor, but none of my looking found a size .050 allen wrench to take it off. I may have never really tightened it, just used my smallest 1.5mm to try to turn it down to the flat on the shaft. At any rate, couldn't get it off, and the plan to reverse the gear didn't happen, and the Bart's Fix modified extruder using the original, un-reversed gear still stopped feeding about 20% into the print. I am off to Home Depot to buy a correctly sized wrench, and get the gear off and reverse it. If that doesn't work, I am buying the MK7 that has been recommended.
k4mg

Postby k4mg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:50 pm

2013-04-21
I got a .050 allen wrench and reversed the gear. What happens now is that the print starts out OK, but it is like there is a slope in the gear, and the filament moves over to the edge of the hobbed slot, looses traction I assume, and stops feeding. If I push down on the filament a little, and release tension on the feeder, it comes back to center and starts to feed again. Here are pictures of the setup, and the filament from both sides, to see if anyone sees anything I have done wrong. If no suggestions, I see nothing left to try before ordering the MK7 gear.

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG
Last edited by k4mg on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
k4mg

Images

Postby bdring » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:46 pm

The best way to post images is to do them as attachments. You can then place them "inline" in your post. I suggest images in the 1200-1600 wide or tall max for best performance.

I really recommend the MK7. The stock gear does not work for me. You can get them on eBay and I have a few left in my shop.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby k4mg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:36 pm

@bdring
Thanks for the tip, but I don't see an attachment option. I ordered the MK7 gear.
k4mg

Next

Return to ORD Bot