Any ord bots with MBE extruders jamming

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Any ord bots with MBE extruders jamming

Postby bloomingtonmike » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 pm

Rodney has a sweet fix in the general 3d printing area. Let me know if you need teflon tube and want to try this. We want your printers PRINTING.
bloomingtonmike

Re: Any ord bots with MBE extruders jamming

Postby nixtacy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:37 am

I've read that thread 5 times and can't understand what the intent is, or how to do it.

My QU-BD printer is 95% jam free, having printed qty 10 or so ten to fifteen hour prints, and 50 + smaller prints.
I have Barts idler arm/spring combo and used a tap to create micro teeth on the filament drive gear.
That's all I needed to do.

The only time it jams is if the filament gets tangled on it's own spool. I'm not sure there are any solutions for that. That's for another day, as I'd love to leave my printer and not have to unspool filament every 15 or 30 minutes.

If someone can explain the modification more clearly, it'd be helpful.
IMHO.
nixtacy

Postby bloomingtonmike » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:25 am

For many, A new ideler (Barts or minalistic) and the MK7 gear are not ebough. It still jams and teh filament does not extrude. Many of us believe it was the nozzle melting the filament ahead of time. You can see it when you remove the filament from teh barrel and after heated and more than just the tip is deformed.

What this mod does is put the filament in PTFE high temp teflon tube it the area between the tip in the hot end and the shaft in the cold end. The cold block end is captured with teh original small piece of the nuzzle. The result is the filament only melts right at the tip where it is supposed to melt. You dont get heat creep when the stainless barrel heats up.

If yours works great. MANY others are not so lucky.
bloomingtonmike

Postby ejf » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 pm

I put in countless hours trying to get 2 MBE extruders working with PLA, the longest I could get it extruding was 35 minutes. I unsuccessfully tried polishing the stainless tube, no retraction, heatsink compound, MK7 gear, and minimalistic extruder.

I switched to a J-head and wade's hinged extruder and have not looked back. It never clogs. I can retract to hearts content. I can print at 150mm/s so far.

If I had a drill press I'd try out the mod though.
ejf

Postby bdring » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:28 pm

I have not tried the uber mod yet, but my Buildlog mod works flawlessly with ABS. PLA works only if I have super low retracts and then may or may not get through an hour long print.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to ORD Bot