Pre-drilled mounting holes in Hadron

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Pre-drilled mounting holes in Hadron

Postby geoffs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:10 am

I'm (finally) getting back to my Ord Hadron build after a couple of months.
Still deciding on the best way to route/terminate wires but in trying to mount the RAMPS board, I found none of the pre-drilled holes in the handle piece, lined up with the mounting holes in the RAMP board.
Is this normal? do I need to drill mounting holes as required?
The same applies to the holes for the limit switches.

I'm happy to do this but had assumed that because there were so many holes already drilled, it would be unnecessary to drill more.

Regards
Geoff
geoffs

Re: Pre-drilled mounting holes in Hadron

Postby blah_59 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:39 am

Yes, it's normal. I needed to drill additional holes for my Azteeg X3 as well. I didn't need to drill holes for the limit switches though, those lined up well.
blah_59

Postby geoffs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks for the confirmation, I thought I might be up against a metric vs imperial problem!
Browsing the forum, I've find a part number for an Omcron micro-switch which will fit the holes already drilled
I'll drill a few more holes to mount the RAMPS and the LCD controller.

Looks like I'll need to make an extruder mount from scratch though. Back to the shed!

EDIT: Just checked the micro-switch specs and the mounting hole spacing is 9mm which is a little different to the drilled holes at 9.1 - 9.2mm
geoffs

Postby blah_59 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 pm

I can't wait to see what you come up with for an extruder mount, the pics of what you've done in the past we're very cool.

It's been a while but I think I used #4 wood screws to mount the limit switches, worked preetty well.
blah_59

Postby rocketwiz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:53 pm

That's odd as the existing holes on the plate should be ok for a ramps board (or more correctly, for the arduino mega board on top of which the ramps board plugs in). See k4mg's build picture here http://www.k4mg.com/Hobbies/CNC/Ord%20B ... G_1451.JPG.
rocketwiz

Postby regressedEE » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:02 pm

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I saw this the other day: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39982. A similar idea is: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39893. I wonder if either would work for mounting an Azteeg X3 to the pre-drilled holes?
regressedEE

Postby orcinus » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Either the drilling pattern changed from the first Hadron revision, or the RAMPS / Arduino holes changed, but i never drilled any extra holes for RAMPS on mine. It fit one set of holes perfectly (and right in the center of the plate too). In fact, if i remember correctly, those extra few oddly-spaced holes were put there specifically to fit the Arduino Mega holes.

That said, i couldn't fit Azteeg X3 for the life of me without drilling. It's currently mounted using just two holes, both on one side, and a double-sided sticky foam on the other side. It was a hack job because i've sold the RAMPS and wanted to get back up and running as soon as possible, then was lazy to take it down and drill the extra holes. I need to rewire and re-sleeve the wiring anyways one of these days...

By the way, there's nothing wrong with using sticky foam or pads. They hold on fine and second as electrical insulation (no need for standoffs).
orcinus

Postby geoffs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:18 am

I think I've found the reason the holes don't line up - the handle plate is on backwards!
As the holes in the Mega aren't symmetrical, they only line up from one side.
If I try to line the Arduino Mega up on the front of the plate, I can get a hole match.
Time for some disassembly!
geoffs

Return to ORD Bot