NEWBE with ORD Hadron Project

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: NEWBE with ORD Hadron Project

Postby flickerfly » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Your Mega will power up from USB power. I don't believe you need the 12V until you start adding drivers and heaters. You can program everything with just the 5V you get over USB.
flickerfly

Postby joeblow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:22 am

Having issues with just the Arduino right now. I get connection but it will not compile, I keep getting errors.

I spent the whole day messing with it and finally decided to build a different computer I have with more memory and a quad core cpu so it will do better with CAD/CAM software anyway. I was also running a 64 bit version of Ubuntu Linux which I am sure was making things more difficult. So I am going with 32 bit on this one.

I am hoping it will just work out of the box this time but I will not know until tomarrow at the soonest.

My game plan is to get the Arduino talking to the PC, then the Ramps 1.4 combo to talk to RepetierHost, then start installing each driver channel one by one to test everything. Thoughts?
joeblow

Postby joeblow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:38 pm

UPDATE

OK Arduino/Ramps are working. I can upload firmware and with the test firmware get motors moving etc...

I am still not able to get RepetierHost to do anything yet. It does connect but none of the commands work. I even tried to use RepetierHost Firmware vs the Marlin Firmware without success? Any thoughts on this? Should I dump it for another software?
joeblow

Postby flickerfly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:01 pm

I'd think looking at settings in the repetier firmware may be the way to go. You may need to make some adjustments. Lack of movement can be the result of having your endstops reversed or you may need to select any number of other things. Check out the firmware's settings and if you don't find it, post it here. You may be able to find RAMPS settings in the forums here also. I use the X3 so can't be much help for that.
flickerfly

Postby blah_59 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:03 pm

In Repetier Host, did you home the axis' first before trying to manually jog them in different directions. It won't move the axis without homing because that's the only way for the software to know the correct starting positions of each axis.

Also, check the status of the end stops, I think M119 is the command for that IIRC...
blah_59

Postby joeblow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:02 pm

I was hoping to start with a partially built machine to test everything BEFORE I run the full set-up. I was hoping to get RepetierHost to jog one motor then swap some cables and do the other etc...

I am starting to wonder if the software in RepetierHost is REQUIRING all the end stops, motors, thermisters, and extruder to be installed in order to do anything? If so I guess I can just plug everything in and see how it goes?
joeblow

Postby joeblow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Should I be using the RepetierHost firmware or Marlin?
joeblow

Postby flickerfly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:15 pm

I use RepetierFirmware. Others have Marlin working. I would say the firmware does not require end stops, but if they are configured it expects them. It requires thermistors to run the heated bed and hot end for safety reasons. Motors should not be required, but don't run a stepper driver without them or you could break your driver. Thermistors could be simulated with resistors if needed, but be sure you keep the temp under control.

You could actually code something simple up that would run the motors without any requirements. The X3 Test code could probably be modified easily enough: http://files.panucatt.com/X3_test_code.zip That would probably be the easiest way to accomplish your testing via the control board.
flickerfly

Postby joeblow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Since the forum has been down I have made some progress. What I have working right now:

I have Repetier Firmware with Repetier Host both working together. I can move X and Y and though not mounted I 'think' the end stops are functioning (they are indicating open/closed and seem to effect the limits of the X/Y). I have not tested the extruder, temp thermisters, or hot bed as of yet because I have a bigger issue.

What is not working:

The Z axis has issues. It is wired in series and with Repetier Firm/Host will only move in one direction and sounds like there is an issue. The other direction does not move and when attempted and only makes the steppers buzz continuously until I shut them down. I have determined that this is NOT a hardware issue because when I load the TEST firmware all the axis move back and forth perfectly. I did try adjusting the trim pots but this had no effect on the Z issue. I can only assume there is a setting in the Repetier Host firmware causing the issue.

I have tried to get Marlin working with Repetier Host but I get no movement when commanded. I do show a connection but it is unresponsive. So at this point I think there are two directions I can take. One is to have a copy of a calibrated Repetier Firmware with a Hadron unit. Second would be a guide on how to get Marlin working with RepetierHost. Can anybody help here?

Thanks in advance!
joeblow

Postby flickerfly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:51 pm

For the Z-Axis thing, use M119 to see if it is high or low. Than check to see which is considered tripped.

You'll want to look at these settings in the firmware:
#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z true
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z false
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MIN true

Also look for "Inverting access direction".

I found this a confusing area when I was putting my Hadron together.
flickerfly

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot