Ord Bot Auto-Leveling

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Ord Bot Auto-Leveling

Postby flickerfly » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 am

I've seen that the Repetier Host software supports auto-leveling now and it looks like people are starting to put together solutions for using it. Has anyone done some autoleveling on an ord bot yet? I'm curious what ways people have setup the switch for detecting height and more how they fold the system away for a print.
flickerfly

Re: Ord Bot Auto-Leveling

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:15 pm

With the new Z gantry lifts that are made of two pieces, one could use the hotend tip itself as a probe. Just rig the lifts to interrupt the circuit when the gantry doesn't rest on them anymore (need to do both, in series). It could be a microswitch (without a lever arm), or simply two pieces of metal, one on the threaded part and one on the part attached to the gantry, that touch each other and maintain the circuit while the gantry rests on the lifts.

I'm not sure how repeatable this would be, which is very important, but it would be simpler than a swing arm (especially if all you do is stick some copper self-adhesive foil to four parts and wire it to the controller).
cvoinescu

Postby fma » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:46 pm

See: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2396

I will try another approach: I'm switching to bowden config, to be able to easily switch from laser engraving, vinyl cutting and 3D printing (I plan to create a buildlog soon, with all the modifications I made and the ones I plan to do).

The vinyl cutter will be mounted on a little IGUS rail, to be able to move it up/down very quickly. I plan to use servo output for that purpose. I already wrote a python script to convert HPGL output from inkcut inkscape plugin to gcode, using either Z axis or servo (M340 command).

I would like to try the same approach for the hot-end: mount it on a rail, which can be locked/unlocked (using a servo; I have a few ideas). The contact could then be put on the hot-end itself: release the lock, touch the bed -> contact! Lock again for printing.

Just an idea, needing some tests!
Frédéric
fma

Postby flickerfly » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:16 pm

I'm thinking to avoid putting wires on the bottom floating part and not impare the ability to simply lift the X-axis whenever I want, I'd put both contacts for the switch on the top part and bridge them using the bottom part. This could actually be a pretty simple modification now that I'm seeing how it would work.
flickerfly

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:40 pm

That's even better!
cvoinescu

Postby fma » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Keep in mind that putting the contacts on the anti-wobble system will require they are stable.

I mean that you may need to put 2 nuts to avoid the bottom part to tilt when the gantry lifts, keeping the contact closed longer than necessary, and, more important, in a non reproducible manner...
Frédéric
fma

Postby Chattermark » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:59 pm

Here is my solution http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?246,476793,476793#msg-476793.

Hope you get along with the german description, otherwise ask here please.

Cheers,

Chattermark
Chattermark

Return to ORD Bot