ORD Bot Hadron Building log - scratch build

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

ORD Bot Hadron Building log - scratch build

Postby Georgei » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:38 pm

So I decided I want a 3D printer. Due to limited funds I decided to make one instead of buying a ready to run one.

My first choice was a Prusa i3 which I could buy in a complete kit (Sintron) at a very reasonable price. However I was not impressed with how rigid the all construction was and also the printing speeds.

I keep looking and I came across the ORD Bot Hadron. I was impressed with the simplicity. I was also familiar with the rails as I already have a eShapeoko that uses the same rails.

The problem was that I couldn't find a kit here in UK so I decided to scratch built it.

To start with the electronics I choose the Sintron complete set that had almost everything (image below). I will see what doesn't work as expected then I might upgrade a couple of things.

Today I have cut a couple of aluminium and HDPE parts (y plate, motor mounts, idle pulley mounts and feet) and I have temporary assembly the Y axis.

electronics.JPG

IMG_7946.JPG
Georgei

Re: ORD Bot Hadron Building log - scratch build

Postby fulg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:25 pm

I know it's too late for you but I believe both "standard" sources for ORDBot kits (Automation Technologies and RepRapDiscount) ship to the UK. RRD is more expensive but their kit is almost completely built; ATI ships just the raw parts and you get to have all the fun of outdated build instructions, so a few missteps are unavoidable. :P

Good luck, I'll be following along. Not sure I can help though, mine is still being built and debugged after a couple of months (I bought a kit from ATI in the US, shipped to Canada without problems).

Cheers,
Ben.
fulg

Postby Georgei » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi Ben,

I know that a number of international sellers will post to UK. However the cost combined with the fact that I already had a number of the mechanical parts and I have a CNC router to cut the custom parts made me to decide to scratch built it. It is also a good practice as I will know exactly where each bolt and nut goes and why.

George
Georgei

Postby Georgei » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Ready and the other aluminium plates.

IMG_7949.JPG
Georgei

Postby rsm5178 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:04 pm

They look thicker than the original design. I like it. Should make the "carry handle" & overall design stiffer.

What is the center plate? Modified carriage?

Rich
rsm5178

Postby Georgei » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:20 pm

I have done all the aluminium parts 4mm in thickness apart from the one that they have to be a specific thickness (1 motor plate and 2 idle pulley plates).

The "center plate" is the x axis carriage (extruder carriage) but is just a plate because I haven't decide yet how I will mount the MK8 extruder yet.
Georgei

Postby Georgei » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:28 pm

The new extruder mount is ready.

IMG_7950.JPG

IMG_7951.JPG

IMG_7952.JPG
Georgei

Postby dave3d » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:10 pm

I am in the UK and I imported an ATI OrdBot kit from the States and assembled it myself about 2 years ago. Hate to think how many hours I spent, but it was a steep learning curve. I used this Forum as the main source of information. I have no regrets getting it. I have since modified it quite a bit.
dave3d

Postby Georgei » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:37 pm

Dave,

that is one of the reasons I decided to start from scratch. It is my first 3D printer and I believe that it is easier to find what is wrong and calibrate it if you have put it together yourself.

How is the speed and quality of printing from your printer?
Georgei

Postby Georgei » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:26 pm

The new light Y carriage is ready:

IMG_7956.JPG

And a couple of the rails temporary assembled:

IMG_7957.JPG

IMG_7959.JPG
Georgei

Next

Return to ORD Bot