ORD Bot Hadron Building log - scratch build

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORD Bot Hadron Building log - scratch build

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:36 pm

dave3d wrote:[...] but it was a steep learning curve.

Fun fact: the learning curve is steep when something is easy to learn. If you graph your knowledge in time, the curve increases steeply: in other words, you learn quickly. A shallow learning curve is the one to be afraid of -- knowledge increasing only slowly. Of course, no one is aware the phrase means the opposite of what they're trying to say, except nitpickers like me. :)
cvoinescu

Postby Georgei » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:07 am

Unfortunately human brains think first with experience. They have to be trained to think in a mathematical way.

So when something is steep it means that is hard to reach.

My students also have problems visualizing a graph. Is very common.
Georgei

Postby Georgei » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:07 pm

New fan mount and cooling fan for the drivers and the electronics:

IMG_7962.JPG

IMG_7963.JPG
Georgei

Postby dave3d » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Hmm. I seem to be getting a lesson on the English language which I don't need, thanks.

A steep learning curve is when you start from zero knowledge of the subject and through a great personal effort over a short space of time, knowledge rapidly increases (x axis is time and y axis is knowledge). It also implies trial and error and costly or painful failures on the way which are part of the learning process.

georgei: I am happy with the print quality but I only have the one printer so have nothing directly to compare it to. I tend to make functional parts rather than objet d'art , for the printer and some for other engineering projects.
The OrdBot is basically the frame and it lends itself particularly well to modifying. I have done a lot of mods to mine, so it is improving all the time. I have gone with twin Wade extruders using 1.75mm filament with Bowden tubes. Just recently a 24v bed. I only do ABS. Normal speed is 100mm/sec but I have had it printing at 250mm/sec for simpler parts.
dave3d

Postby cvoinescu » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:51 am

It's math, not English, and it's meant good-naturedly. I know informal usage is backwards. As you say, plotting time on the abscissa and knowledge on the ordinate, with great effort you increase knowledge quickly, and the curve raises steeply. True, but with the same great effort applied to an easier subject you increase your knowledge quicker, for an even steeper curve. Also, the expression typically refers to the difficulty of a subject, not to the vigor of the effort or the conscientiousness of the learner. So I remain unconvinced.
cvoinescu

Postby Georgei » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Almost there. Next: cable management and fine calibration.

IMG_7968.JPG
Georgei

Postby Georgei » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:52 pm

It has been a while since my last post but thinks didn't go as planed.

A lot of problems with what I wanted to do and a lot of problems with the Hadron design (at least for my taste).

I didn't liked the fact that the Z motors could turn individually when not engaged. That will make the X axis not parallel with the table.
For the accuracy needed for 3d printing this is not good. And there was not reference point to zero the axis again.
The z axis screws wobbles a lot without top support.
Also there is more weight on the left hand of the X axis because the motor is there. That some times when the carrier is on the left also, makes the right lift block to slightly lift and does't make good contact with the lifting arm.

Some of the above I have manage one way or the other to sort them out.

Additionally I added:
24V power supply for the heated bed with a SSR relay (it heats the bed to 110 degrees Celsius in 2 minutes).
Z axis stop with servo for self leveling. The servo doesn't take power from the board but from a separate 5V supply.
Support with ball bearings at the top of the Z axis shafts.
LED light.

The printer is now calibrated and can print down to 0.1mm layer.

Below are some images from the finished (I think finished) printer.

IMG_7972.JPG

IMG_7973.JPG

IMG_7974.JPG

IMG_7975.JPG

IMG_7976.JPG
Georgei

Postby fulg » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:17 am

Congrats on your build, this looks awesome. How well does the servo calibration work for you? Getting a reliable signal from an inductive/capacitive probe turned out to be an exercise in failure, and I always assumed using a servo for this job would be a little finicky.
fulg

Previous

Return to ORD Bot