Post Processing CAM generated g-code for lasers

Discuss Laser CNC Software Issues

Post Processing CAM generated g-code for lasers

Postby dirktheeng » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:02 am

All,

I've been thinking about how to convert the g-code files that get generated from programs like cut2d (program I'm thinking about buying). The thing is, it's meant for cnc routers/mills and not for lasers. I can't command the program to turn on/off the laser and it necessitates that I put in Z axis moves when I don't want to. I've been thinking about that a little bit and I think that we can use this program and others like it with a post processing script that identifies where z axis only lines (the plunge/retract) lines and replace them with an M command line that turns on/off the laser to a given power. It would be fairly easy to set the zero position at the top of the part so when it plunges, the z value is negative and when it retracts to rapid, the value is positive, that would be the switch for on and off respectively.

Obviously, other people have to be doing something like this already either by a script or manually. For files without a lot of cutouts, doing it by hand isn't bad, but some things I want to do would have a lot of cuts and it would be a pain to do it by hand. What are others doing?
dirktheeng

Been there...

Postby bdring » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:21 am

Been there...done that...got the post

http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2011/02/us ... h-a-laser/
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Post Processing CAM generated g-code for lasers

Postby cpdude » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:56 am

I really wish CamBam had better Post Processor event handing (like Cut2D). Cambam doesn't handle plunge and retract events so I have to do a find & replace in notepad. :x

On a side note I've been testing a beta version of the Mach3 SmoothStepper plugin (v17e). I'm getting very good results with my windows 7 (64 bit) laptop and the 2.x laser. This version of the plugin changes how the M11P1/M10P1 commands are handled in order to eliminate the over burn when turning the laser on and off. :D

Brian
2.x laser ( Mach3 | SmoothStepper | FSE RetinaEngrave)| DIY CNC Router (EMC2) | Prusa I3 3d printer | Building a Wolfstock deta printer | Rhino v5
cpdude

Re: Post Processing CAM generated g-code for lasers

Postby bdring » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:18 am

I use a smoothstepper on my router. It works great. Glad to see it has some new features. If anyone wants to see what an FPGA can do, just check out the capabilities of that tiny board.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to Software