nesting software

Discuss Laser CNC Software Issues

nesting software

Postby educa » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:31 am

When cutting shapes out of plates, people always try to get. the most out of a plate to have little waste.

sometimesyou get cutting plans which soo much of a plate that it is a shame.

For that purpose there exists cnc nesting software which moves your individual parts to ideally fill up the material plate to use. thereby it reduces the amount of plate material/sheets needed and saves on price.

Does anyone know of a free or not too expensive cnc nesting solution to optimize cut plans?

I know there is very good software available for this, but most of it is a couple of thousand $$$
educa

Re: nesting software

Postby bdring » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:40 am

I use the nesting features in Vectric Aspire. It helps improve the yield. It is especially helpful on a bunch of oddly shaped objects, like if you needed to cut all the letters of the alphabet. It allows you to control rotation, so if the material has a grain that matters to you, it can preserve that angle.

I also use 1D nesting for my MakerSlide cutting. You think you can mentally do a decent job, but it totally blows that away. I regularly get 95-100% yield on material. It is fun to shave off 1 mm piece of scrap as the last cut. If you don't get 100% yield, you enter enter the scraps into list of material and it tries to eventually use the piece.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby educa » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:13 am

Bart.

Do you like the besting of aspire or do you ink there is room for improvement?

I just saw that vcarvePro (same company) now also has the nesting builtin.

regards,

Bart
educa

Postby bdring » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:04 am

I am sure the nesting is similar in V Carve. It works fine for me. If you want me to nest something for you as an example, let me know. I can export the file to DXf etc.

Here are the options.

nesting.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mikegrundvig » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:25 am

I've had great luck with http://www.mynesting.com and their software.
I've used it to nest many times on several projects and been very pleased consistently. I like that you can specify the sheet sizes you have and it will make your parts work. I also like that it has good settings for minimum distances, etc. I even sent some DXF files it created to a water jet service and they liked it's results more than their own software.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby lovebugjunkie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Unless something has changed in the last updates (don't think they have), all the features in VcarvePro and Aspire are the same except Aspire has the added 3D features and does Lithophanes.

I have tried a few times to arrange parts better than the nesting feature in VcarvePro without much luck.
lovebugjunkie

Return to Software