Dual Machine - Laser/3D Printer

General discussion of laser machines

Re: Dual Machine - Laser/3D Printer

Postby lasersafe1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:47 pm

bdring wrote: As I understood it, when it cooled it became more saturated. We then added a seed crystal on a string and it grew from there.

Precisely. With no seed crystal it had nothing to grow on and would remain in saturation. My hope would be that somehow the laser would crystalize the solution in a thin layer. Who knows? Might be like shooting honey and never crystalize because we are also heating. Either way it turns out yummy for the kids.
lasersafe1

Postby bdring » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:35 pm

I thought of a good name for an open source project combining self replicating laser cutters and self replicating 3D printers.

The Chimera Project

Wikipedia Chimera: A combination of multiple animals.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby thechoochman528 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:12 pm

It also wouldn't be that hard to adapt an ABS print head to the laser cutter or a frostruder type extruder, or even my Pfiercestruder http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3635 to the cutter, to have a multi purpose machine. With the foot print of the cutter you've designed, you have plenty of room to put multi tool heads or just change out different "cars" on the gantry for different purposes.
thechoochman528

Postby willyinaus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:07 am

Jesus guys make it hard for a guy but that would be so cool starting work on my mill tomorrow and then back to the laser but this looks like another thing to add to the to do list :o
willyinaus

Postby Tweakie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:42 am

I wouldn't like to think of you getting bored because you had nothing to do Willy. :lol:

Tweakie.
Tweakie

Previous

Return to General