Form 1

General discussion of 3D printers

Form 1

Postby neocalm » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Somehow I suckered myself into being the first backer for the new personal SLA printer on Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/for ... 3d-printer

I look forward to taking a look at how this thing works if/when they ship. It's only one axis! Also the guaranteed resin price for life seemed appealing based on the other resin-based printers and resin costs I've seen. Not that it's cheap.
neocalm

Re: Form 1

Postby canadianavenger » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Holy rocket ship! Meet their $100K goal in 2.5 hrs and break $1M in 2.5 days! It has slowed as the only rewards (that get you a unit) left are $5K and up, with about 125 at $2700 still left as well, the rest are sold out. The project will cap out at around $1.5M based on the reward caps posted. Looks like they adjusted the one reward to include Canada, so I may jump in @ 2700 to get a unit. (IIRC it used to be USA only)
canadianavenger

Postby canadianavenger » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:46 pm

neocalm wrote:I look forward to taking a look at how this thing works if/when they ship. It's only one axis! Also the guaranteed resin price for life seemed appealing based on the other resin-based printers and resin costs I've seen. Not that it's cheap.

Me too, I caved and got in... now need to save, save, save :)

As for one axis, that's not quite true. There is a galvo, or galvo-like mechanism to target the laser for scanning the image into the resin. The printer is not all that dissimilar than the one proposed by Junior Veloso a while back [he has yet to deliver in 2+years http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/ ], except he used a DLP chip to produce the image... sadly he pulled the technical details on his design a while back.
canadianavenger

Postby neocalm » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:06 pm

Details are scant and scattered throughout the web but I had heard that Form 1 uses DLP as well. I can't find the reference now but I thought they were using a $10 Blu-ray 405 nm diode with DLP to form their "poor man's SL" back end.
neocalm

Postby canadianavenger » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:54 pm

They are definitely scanning the image, so that pretty much rules out DLP. If it was DLP the entire layer image would be exposed at the same instant.

Interesting to see that Bre Pettis of makerbot and Junior Veloso are backers of the project.
canadianavenger

Postby neocalm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:34 am

I am sure those two would love to know how things progress over at the Formlabs project.

With the launch of so many laser diode based DLP projectors in 2012 - sounds like that might be a possible way to continue the innovation with Blu-Ray diodes. A Texas Instruments DLP dev kit starts at $395...! With their "Pico" DLP line, it may be less clumsy than including the entire projector a la B9Creator.

First things first... got to wait until Feb 2013.
neocalm

Postby canadianavenger » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:01 am

neocalm wrote:I am sure those two would love to know how things progress over at the Formlabs project.

With the launch of so many laser diode based DLP projectors in 2012 - sounds like that might be a possible way to continue the innovation with Blu-Ray diodes. A Texas Instruments DLP dev kit starts at $395...! With their "Pico" DLP line, it may be less clumsy than including the entire projector a la B9Creator.

First things first... got to wait until Feb 2013.

The Casio XJ-A140 has everything you need, including 24 ultra blue laser diodes in the light department. (there are several Casio models that use this config) I've been working on a design the past year or so based on a DLP and the blue laser light engine of the Casio projector. My problem has been the resin, not the optics or mechanics.
canadianavenger

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion