Repetier Z Limit Sw Issue

General discussion of 3D printers

Repetier Z Limit Sw Issue

Postby bdring » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:56 pm

I have a weird issue with Repetier. It appears to be read the Z limit as triggered whenever extruder heater is on.

If I home on Z with the extruder off it works fine. If the heater is on, homing behaves as if the limits switch is already triggered. It move a tiny bit down then moves up when the switch is not physically triggered. Marlin works fine in all modes, so I know the wiring is fine.

I am using Azteeg X3 and open on touch switches.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Repetier Z Limit Sw Issue

Postby orcinus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Hmmm. Odd. I'm not getting that (although i'm not on X3 yet).
Have you tried 0.80? I had better luck with endstop behaviour with that, than with 0.73.
orcinus

Postby bdring » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:07 pm

I am on .80. That unit fix is a PITA when going back and forth during testing. I love the EEPROM feature, but I think I am going to turn it off for while.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Yeah, i'm with you on that. Had a few nasties caused by EEPROM combined with switching from version to version.
I think it was meant to be used while tweaking stuff, then just disabled (with the values you've got while tweaking hard-coded in Configuration.h).

Sorry, no idea about Z. If it was inverted logic, it wouldn't work with the heater off either. If it was crosstalk, it would've happened on Marlin as well.

Have you checked pins.h just in case?
orcinus

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:25 pm

The only difference I can think of would be the internal pull-ups on the input pins the limit switches are connected to. If one firmware enables them and the other doesn't, that would give the heater a chance to interfere with the signal in one firmware but not the other.
cvoinescu

Postby orcinus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Good point.

What does the end-stop pull up block in Configuration.h say?

Code: Select all
/* By default all endstops are pulled up to high. You need a pullup if you
use a mechanical endstop connected with gnd. Set value to false for no pullup
on this endstop.
*/
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MAX true
orcinus

Postby bdring » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 pm

They are both set the same

Inverting = false
Pullups = true

I don't have the schematic for the X3 (it would be nice to have 8-) ), but I don't think it would work reliably if at all without the right settings.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby nismobg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:46 pm

@bd i had similar problem when my Y driver got toast, it might be the electronics, try with a different set of ramps,mega and drivers if you have . Or it might be the pins for the endstop on the X3.
nismobg

Postby brnrd » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:37 am

Are you running twisted pairs of wires going to your z endstop and to your extruder heater? I always twist the pairs of wires for the endstops together as well a the pairs of wires for the extruder heater and the pairs for the extruder motors to minimize crosstalk. If that's not good enough, then perhaps you need to use shielded twisted pairs for the endstop switches.
brnrd

Postby bdring » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 am

I ran a short (normally closed :D ) jumper wire across the two terminals and it behaved the same way. It could be a board layout issue I suppose, but Marlin works fine.

This was a response on the Repetier forum. http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?267,171019

Code: Select all
if you are sure you have no cross talk (Repetier uses no PWM and has a different frequency for the extruder, so it may be different to Marlin) you must be using that pin for some other purpose as well, also pins.h defines no other function on that pin.

If they are not using PWM, they must be bit banging at a slower rate. That might create a bit more noise.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Next

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion